Flatlander build piston solution found

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly, more so what parts they use im guessing. I can go to any machine shop and have my crank ground, so its not a big secret. I personally am starting to feel a little skeptical of their quality, like theyre trying to hide something. Oh well theyre a long ways away anyway. I do hope it works out for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not every shop can offset grind a crank to stroke it. Be careful having a crank ground. The factory radius must be kept. If it gets sharp it will breack the crank because of the stress builds up at sharp radius areas. Also there is a way to find out if they burned the bearing surfaces by bathing it in some horrible chemicals. I don't care to speak of them here because its so hazardous to do.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand ya. I wasnt planning on stroking or anything from the get go. I was just trying to find out what kinda rods theyre using and what size of wrist pins go with em. In the case that a little machine work was necessary for some beefier parts i was going to go for it. However i think ill call it good with a set of silvolites and see what i can make happen.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
We did go into detail on specs, wrist pin sizes weren't on the list to discuss at the time.
Pistons are custom made to spec and the rods Tim wanted to use were Oliver rods and were capable of supporting big torque which is way more than I'm shooting for as a DD.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did go into detail on specs, wrist pin sizes weren't on the list to discuss at the time.
Pistons are custom made to spec and the rods Tim wanted to use were Oliver rods and were capable of supporting big torque which is way more than I'm shooting for as a DD.

If you know perchance which engine? If the rods are good to X amount, i would assume the wrist pins would be as well, but hard to say, if theyre out of a 6 im sure theyre tougher. But grinding that much out of the crank still leaves me leary, assuming you are going for the .25" stroke as well. Which was one of my primary questions they failed to get back to me on, " How adversly will the offset affect crank shaft strength?" I wonder what the big end measures on the Oliver rods.. guess i could try my own looking to find a rod that might swap, but talk about finding a needle in a haystack.

If you find out and dont mind, i would be interested in some of the specs for the bottom end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance