Flatlander build piston solution found

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly Gary!
Tim gave me some preliminary numbers yesterday but pending on fuel and air configurations, the numbers we talked about were guestimations.

Towkitty made mention of an aftermarket intake but with the twin turbo intercooler from CRX racing will allow me to utilize the stock intake and keep the system balanced by converging the twins charge air into a single feed line to the engine.
I've got to maintain some discipline with this build as from what I'm getting could make things really interesting if I let it go too far.
My main goal is to keep it streetable but also reliable.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
7.8 maybe... Can you say torque like an old straight 8 engine..... About 2 years ago Barnett listed two differant stroker 7.3 engines available. Can't find that info on their web page anymore...
Many years ago Gale Banks claim to fame was the twin turbo 454 boat engine.:eek: My brother had one and at 80 mph if he slammed the throttle to the boards the acceleration would almost break you neck when it took off... Doing an already 80 mph...:eek:LOL A small turbo feeding one bank of 4 cylinders keeps the boost down but feeds the engine what it needs to go. That was a scarey wicked boat.... Twins boosting into seperate intake manifolds will look great but I would "balance" the intake by building a combined intake manifold from each turbo. The thought of either turbo loosing boost would wreck the hell out of an engine turning some rpm. Plus, these idi engines have a very odd fireing order....

until i seen that IC i showed ron, I was contemplating building a U-shaped intake manifold with dual inlets

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
if you cant gain a 1/4 inch, offset for a 1/2 inch stroke at least it isnt worth it in my book.

It looks like we've got that covered Russ. :sly
6.7 or 6.8 rods, custom built pistons and stroke increase to 4.48". :D

Theses puppy dogs ain't gotta chance. Now only if they'd let me use it for work. LOL

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
What are you going to fuel this sumbitch with?

I'll be starting out with a maxed out Moose and go from there. Since I already have one, It'll be a baseline starting point. I'm certain it won't be enough to fully fuel it but I want to be able to try it first to see what it's fully capable of.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a brilliant solution to gaining the lower compression you need without sacrificing piston crown thickness and all the issues with heat transfer that come along with it. A bonus, of course, is the gain in displacment/torque with the longer stroke. She's gonna be a beast for hauling that big 5'er Ron.

Looking into the crystal ball..... I see a super Moose or ........... wait............. I see............ I see a call to Hypermax........ or is it WipeOut Enterprises............. Yes, for a custom IP gear housing and adaptor, lines, and .......... and .............. an 8-cylinder P-pump!LOL

Heath

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they gonna ceramic coat the pistons too? And also I'm confused what they are doing with the rods and pistons? How are custom pistons so cheap from them? But anyway it sounds like its gonna be a torque monster especially when you add the fuel...

Also to answer the question on the first page about twins versus a single, twins provide double the air density at the same boost levels versus a single cus there are two turbos providing the boost to the engine.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
I'm not sure how they get the Diamond custom pistons at the cost that they do but can only speculate at this point. Soooo I won't.
With the combinations of connecting rod length change, piston design and offset grind on the crank, I'll get to my desired compression ratio. :D

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the rods custom also? Or are they off another application? Also what is your desired compression ratio?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
The rods are from a different application. We were discussing the use of Oliver rods but pretty much overkill for this build.

Compression? Thaaaat's gonna remain concealed. :sly

Let's just say it won't be starting in the winter months.:D

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rods are from a different application. We were discussing the use of Oliver rods but pretty much overkill for this build.

Compression? Thaaaat's gonna remain concealed. :sly

Let's just say it won't be starting in the winter months.:D

With compression that low you would be able to run 40psi. Haha. Also there is always ether for those cold winter mornings. :angel: