Flatlander build piston solution found

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
throw caution to the wind....either the shittoutofit in the winter n go have fun....LOL

More seriously this is an intersting build, and a girdle on PSN is about 800 bucks iirc for bottom end.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
idi's don't need no gridle.... We gots no girdle..... Gees... What next guys... Eye makeup on out trucks.....:eek::rotflmao:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
LOL too funny Al!
Goldie assumes the lawn ornament position when the snow flies so it'll stay that way. :D

As far as pistons go, they're custom ordered to spec for a build depending on customer request.
I'm not sure which rod application these are being taken from.
Depending on my final block height and head CC volume will determine what parts are used.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any updates there Ron? Since I can't play with my 6.9 project until early June, I wanting to vicariously work on a project through my imaginary internet friends. LOL

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Any updates there Ron? Since I can't play with my 6.9 project until early June, I wanting to vicariously work on a project through my imaginary internet friends. LOL

Heath

Sorry Heath, nothing to report in. Rally hosting is taking first precedence.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Heath, nothing to report in. Rally hosting is taking first precedence.

I know what you mean. Dang work and it's associated "responsibilities." They are seriously messing with my project and pushing it's completion dangerously close to the date I leave for the Rally. I really don't want it's ****** voyage/break-in run to be an 9 hour trip to Michigan with the 5'er on the back. Not my ideal way to test break-in a freash rebuild.

Heath

Last edited:

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just heard about this thread, ive been thinking in the same direction. But you guys talk about the end all solution to lowering CR, but grinding 1/2" out of the rod journal doesnt bother anyone? I remembered hearing about these stroker kits and decided to check in on what they put into them to see if they offered a stronger rod /wrist pin combo than the stock turbo stuff. It seems to me that offset that far would weaken the crank to the point i would be worried. What dia. wrist pin are they planning on using for your build? Im currently waiting on a reply from barnett seeing what they think based on what im looking to get out of this thing. Which leads me to my next question, what are you looking to get out of yours? 15/16:1 tells me alot, but then you say 25-30lbs of boost which would only support around 300hp, if you had a pump that delivered that.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump? I got one email back, very vague. "$2300 we offset grind your crank and use aftermarket pistons and rods" I sent them another more detailed email and have yet to hear back from them in over a week. Just wondering if you have any updates and if youre still able to contact them.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Is it the cure all? No, it's a differnet direction that I'm chosing to explore. Afterall this will still be an experimental build.
;Sweet
After seeing how scorched the crowns of the pistons were at 7,000 miles, the stroker build was a different way to go to reach my desired compression ration. That number will remain between myself and Tim as they build each setup individually to reach the customers requested specifications. The reason you got a vague cost is because in order to get an exact price, Tim needs to know block and head heights and head CC's to start with. From there he can get a better idea on total build cost.

The boost numbers I'm targeting to run will be what I want it to safely operate at. Will it build more boost? I'm sure it will given enough fuel as to why I want to start low and build up. After being educated on the internals of the DB 2's and their limitations, I'm not sold on adding a hybrid IP.

As far as project movement goes, it's on hold right now, I haven't had the time to talk to Tim and with it on hold haven't had the need to. I'm hosting our annual rally and I haven't the time to move forward with the build due to the resources the rally consumes.

Jason has made some progress with the exhaust manifolds but he too has rally precedence as well.:hail

I'm contemplating at moving this build into my 2 wheel drive crew cab as to not take down my primary summer driver due to the amount of engine compartment redesigning that will need to be done to fit the twins plus exhaust configurations will be easier without having to deal with a transfer case.

Working a full time job then pulling wrenches on the side( turning nearly full time) tends to not leave a whole lot of spare time so to do this right I don't want to rush it together and have something fail due to poor craftsmanship.
Ok and I'm really itching to have a lowered dually sporting a super single rear tire.:sly

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it man, i forgot about the rally comin up so i can see why your busy. I was just curious as to the type of people they are at barnett, they seem reluctant to offer information let alone do business, perhaps it is not the option im wanting after all. I know all about what you mean slingin wrenchs brkfast lunch and dinner lol. super single rear would look cool.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Wrist pin orientation provides for lower cylinder compression without compromising piston crown material.
The majority of the expense will be the pistons and rods.
After seeing how bad the pistons were scorched from underneath, I really am not wanting to take off any material from the crowns.

Was it a issue of the material being to thin or could it have been something caused by not enough oil getting squirted on the bottom of the piston

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the vagueness cab be attributed to not wanting to give out the info on how they do it. That is a possibility...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance