Firewall Re-inforcement plate

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i do custom stuff as well...

im gunna start making house number signs too....more into the decorative stuff but here is a pic of my latest one...this is more my own house...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

if its not cracked you may want to look into one of the small plates. which it looks like will end up being offered up first...

im checking on powder coating prices and some other things before i release those

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Very Nice! How thick of a material can you cut through? Can you cut other metals with it or is it too hot? You dont have to powder coat mine just hit it with some gray rust-oleum thats what ive painted every other engine bracket.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
if i do them they will all get done. so far ive cut 18ga.16ga, 12ga and 1/4" but i should be able to pattern cut up to like 5/8-3/4 depending on the requirement for finish and dimensions. that thick i dont think i could do anything to intricate...but will cut 1/4" like butter.

ive also done some 16ga SS. i should be able to cut aluminum too

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Could you do emblem type stuff, kind of throw a different spin on the factory deals.

madcj8

Reaction score
I just watched that video, now you have ME really itching for a CNC table to hook my Miller spectrum 1000 to. I was cutting 1" plate the other day for a skid steer grapple bucket im building :D

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has to be careful about copyrighted insignias and emblems. The restoration people have to get permission from Ford or other OEM's before reproducing any emblems on old parts. They are touchy about that kind of stuff.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
ive seen the one your talking about and thats what i thought mel was sending me until i went back and looked in the TSB.

im not sure what that small "er" plate is...maybe is fords pitiful attempt at fixing the problem. however that plate will only keep the hols from tearing from right around the master not at the seams or from letting the firewall flex.

sle2115 there shouldnt be any difference in pedal feel because the master cylinder isnt moving from its original position. if the plate were to go on the outside then yes you could have play in the pedal.

I have the large plate and it does go on the outside.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
He has to be careful about copyrighted insignias and emblems. The restoration people have to get permission from Ford or other OEM's before reproducing any emblems on old parts. They are touchy about that kind of stuff.

Ooh, thats true. My mother has to worry about the same thing with her embroidery business. I can get anything I want on a hat because it's free for me but she can't sell it or someone will want royalties. :rolleyes:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yes you can get in trouble with emblems and such...no i cant do a partial cut through a plate. that is abusive to the tips and to the machine. you need a laser or a multi axis machine to do that.

if i were to convert it to a router i could machine light stuff like aluminum and plastics with it but im not anywhere near that point with it yet.

and sle thanks for setting me straight....

i had to go back and re-re-re read the TSB and you are correct. the small plates install on the inside but the large one installs on the outside of the firewall

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
and sle thanks for setting me straight....

i had to go back and re-re-re read the TSB and you are correct. the small plates install on the inside but the large one installs on the outside of the firewall

It's all good, was just trying to say, it doesn't matter, clutch works fine, much better than before the plate!

I have installed both, including this one.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I missed something, but does that mean that something has to be done to the master cylinder push rod if installing the big plate?

And, if the little plate goes inside and the big plate goes outside, does this mean that it's possible/advantageous to run both together?

FWIW I'm definitely interested in a large plate, once you've got them ready...not quite sure yet when I'll be taking my truck out of service, but I'd like to get this done while my truck's down for the count.

Thanks again ;Sweet

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the TSB states that you MAY need to use an adjustable pushrod i guess you could use the plates together but i believe that would be overkill. this bracket is almost 1/8" steel so you shouldn't have any flex after installing it properly.

i got to look at the push rod i got here. i just changed the m/c on my truck. if its feasible maybe ill start making those as well. right now my main concern is to get the firewall plate confirmed that my parts are good and start making those first. i just bought a small sheet metal brake that will do 12ga so ill be able to cut these out and bend them up all in house and not have to outsource any of the fab work.