Firewall Re-inforcement plate

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The small one I bought that was for an 87-91 cost about $4. I ground it down to fit my 85. The parts guy said the correct part for the 84-86 trucks was about $15. The part I did(87-91) buy looks nothing like the part you are making. It looks similar to the bracket thats on my 93 though.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never have been able to find a reinforcement kit
I might buy one of these if I don't make / find one by spring.
But I could probly make one if I took some measurements.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we have just been through the "brotherhood" thing and the big stink with certain persons thinking other certain persons are making too much money on parts and services, but I would not back him into a corner on the price. I am going to assume he is not going to have someone setup and stamp these things out, but if he did that would be a costly proposition with a minimum amount of parts to be made. If he is going to drill these holes out one at a time, and whittle out the large holes, and if you figure the time involved I would suspect it's not going to be much less than $120-150 each. If it is, then good for him and us.

It would probably be more profitable for him to sell the cardboard pattern and a small piece of sheetmetal for a small fee and let us grind drill and file for hours to make the actual piece.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
And after that will our pieces look that nice? Nice work, dude. Keep us posted on your progress. I'll be in the market to buy one. Guys like you and Mel make me feel like I'm not carrying my weight around here. Thanks for offering us quality stuff for our old rigs.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably be more profitable for him to sell the cardboard pattern and a small piece of sheetmetal for a small fee and let us grind drill and file for hours to make the actual piece.

Actually, that is a great idea and could be applied to numerous other home-grown parts as well.

I know very well how much time and broken drill bits gets invested in these seemingly simple looking projects. ;Really

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
water jet will make those in minutes as many as you can afford in sheet metal and jet rental
Javier

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
For those questioning the methods... I am pretty sure this is the guy who got a plasma table and if that is the case... once he has the pattern, all he has to do is feed it metal and then bend the result. It is a pretty simple process once you get over the initial cost of the table. Think of it like a waterjet but with a plasma cutter instead.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
wow guys...your lack of confidence is really inspiring..

yes i own a plasma table. franklin your absolutely right but im not going to whittle and drill. what my methods are will be of no consequence as long as i can produce a high quality part at a reasonable price. your absolutely right too about me doing this to make money. why else would i invest so much money into a machine? This is not going to be the only product I will be selling and not the only board i will be selling to. I am not trying to exploit this website or anyone in particular, if you want to think otherwise then be my guest. I am not new to this board and have participated in discussions just like anyone else posting in this thread. I will be able to offer one off custom stuff for a fraction of the price that you would pay at a local place. AS i started before in other threads. This is not my livelyhood. I have a day job like the rest of you. I am doing this as a side thing to supplement my income. Will it turn into my living? Maybe so, but I am no where near that point at this time. When the time comes i will get in contact with the PTB's and sign up as a vender.

I will not be sending out a cardboard pattern with a piece of sheet metal for anyone and their brother to pass around. I put my own time and effort into taking a part and reverse engineering it and figuring out the pattern and the bends and putting it on cad...making a part..etc...why would i want to just hand that out?

idiabuse....you find me a shop that will rent out its waterjet to any tom **** or harry and i will be seriously surprised. a waterjet is a $100k+ machine new. if you own onw these parts can be cheap to make...if you farm them out to a company with a waterjet/plasma/laser you will pay a premium for small quantity lots.

goose.. yes after i prove out this 16ga part they should look very close to the original offering. that part is shiney because i had to sand the rust off it. it was a piece of sheet metal i had floating around i my shop. i wouldn't worry about the carrying part. :D

IH_44....yes you probably could. but without a part to go off of taking measurements while standing on your head around studs...seams..steering column etc is a pain in the ying yang. if thats what you want to do great! i got no problems with homegrown ingenuity, i have done that my self for a long time. however it wont be too long until these are available.

that $4 part you guys mention is no where as big as this one and im sure ford produced them by the 1000's by stamping them.

I'm sorry if this post seems sort of calloused, but its amazing that with the internet how many people feel they need to have everything given to them. You guys are always commenting about the lack of availability of custom parts and accessories for our trucks. Here I am trying to do something about that and you want to flame me for it....

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I agree 100% with freebird. He is investing money, time, and effort to set up shop and build off the wall, custom, and discontinued parts. If you had the time to take a piece of sheetmetal, try to cut the correct holes, make the correct bends, all that, in your garage, then obviously this isn't the service for you.

We deal with shops like this all the time where I work, we run packaging lines that quit being manufactured and supported 10+ years ago, so most of the major replacement parts have to be reverse engineered and then fabricated... I can tell you, if a part like that "firewall reinforcement plate" was needed on one of our lines, we would pay probably over $1k for it!!!

I personally don't have the skill to make something like that (if I made it, you wouldn't want it!LOL) so, I would be interested in buying one...

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree too. he is putting alot of stuff into this to help out us idi brothers. if anyone thought it was going to be as cheap as the one ford kit, your wrong. but hopefully it will cost a little less than the big kit from ford and more than likely be better quality than ford too. keep up the good work man

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hurry up, I need one for my F350 crew cab when I do the ZF5 swap.:D

Seriously. It's looking good. I want/need one. Keep us up to date on the progress.

I have the Ford TSB for these kits. I can email it to you if you want.

Heath

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Hurry up, I need one for my F350 crew cab when I do the ZF5 swap.:D

Seriously. It's looking good. I want/need one. Keep us up to date on the progress.

I have the Ford TSB for these kits. I can email it to you if you want.

Heath

heath that would be fantastic!

jason at terrapinmfg dot com

guys i am also looking for the small reinforcement plate that ford offered. if you happen to find one i would be happy to purchase it to use as a template to make them as well. ask punkmechanic...i am willing to work with who ever can help me out.

so help me help you lol.

J

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow guys...your lack of confidence is really inspiring..

idiabuse....you find me a shop that will rent out its waterjet to any tom **** or harry and i will be seriously surprised. a waterjet is a $100k+ machine new. if you own onw these parts can be cheap to make...if you farm them out to a company with a waterjet/plasma/laser you will pay a premium for small quantity lots.

with the internet how many people feel they need to have everything given to them. You guys are always commenting about the lack of availability of custom parts and accessories for our trucks. Here I am trying to do something about that and you want to flame me for it....

You can remove me from the flaming list as I never had that thought cross my mind.
I mentioned the water jet cause I have a friend that has one and he does many projects for me.
You can add me to the list of people who want the bracket, when your done making a few.
;Sweet
I dont know what to say about the flamers so I say nothing
Javier

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heath that would be fantastic!

jason at terrapinmfg dot com

guys i am also looking for the small reinforcement plate that ford offered. if you happen to find one i would be happy to purchase it to use as a template to make them as well. ask punkmechanic...i am willing to work with who ever can help me out.

so help me help you lol.

J

I have the small one, that is destined to go in the 87' Bronco as I am soon converting it to a manual, and I'm gonna throw the plate in for good measure. I would loan it to you for the purpose of making copies, and all I would ask is that you return it within 1 month, and that you would not harm it in any way. If you feel like returning it WITH a copy, that would be really cool as I have a second truck that will probably need it.