Firewall Re-inforcement plate

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
the TSB states that you MAY need to use an adjustable pushrod i guess you could use the plates together but i believe that would be overkill. this bracket is almost 1/8" steel so you shouldn't have any flex after installing it properly.

i got to look at the push rod i got here. i just changed the m/c on my truck. if its feasible maybe ill start making those as well. right now my main concern is to get the firewall plate confirmed that my parts are good and start making those first. i just bought a small sheet metal brake that will do 12ga so ill be able to cut these out and bend them up all in house and not have to outsource any of the fab work.

Are you going to make the three nut captured nut plate that goes with the large kit too? I'm sure cutting it would be no problem, then just weld the rest. It comes with the large plate when you get them from Ford, I believe it's shown in the TSB as well.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yes i will be and it will be included in the price. i believe there is a 2-bolt one as well. the TSB sort of eludes to it and i was planning on providing one of those as well

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
im lookin at this bracket and lookin at my truck and cant see how its supposed to attach on the outside of the firewall.... you look inside under the dash and that looks right....:confused::confused::confused:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
yes you can get in trouble with emblems and such...

Of course, there is a loophole, you can parody emblems legally, I just can't remember how much the percentage of it has to differ from the original.
We can * thank* Harley Davidson for that noise :backoff About 20 years ago they got greedy and didn't want any more places selling things with harley emblems on them, because they wanted to start their clothing line etc ( which had not existed before then ). Nobody thought they would pull it off, but once they did, it opened the flood gates.

I think it would be neat if you could make something cool looking that might look nice on a fender. Right now , I'm repainting my truck and I'm de-badging it as far as the F350 insignias , so it's got a nice open spot if you get any ideas :D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
im lookin at this bracket and lookin at my truck and cant see how its supposed to attach on the outside of the firewall.... you look inside under the dash and that looks right....:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe I'll try to get a picture of mine...I'm going hydroboost eventually, when i do that, there would be some good pic opportunities maybe.

Personally, and not trying to start a war, but if I were doing one, even one that isn't cracked, I'd use the large one anyway...but that's just my .02 and nobody asked me! :)

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
some people may not want to spend the extra on the large plate....i tend to agree with you but i already got both plates drawn up and working on cutting them out at the moment so...

things are getting closer...im hoping to be able to release these in the next week or two

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet machine, pop a brake into the shop, maybe you could improve on the orig. design and patent it idk?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i have a small brake now...but for the little money i will make on these it wont even begin to cover a patent application

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, but you could use the brake for so much more, It's not like you got the plasma just for just firewall plates. And chit, what if a machine shop decides to make a pimped out plate? you sell the rights for some big bux, and I would love to see a brother make it big!!!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, and not trying to start a war, but if I were doing one, even one that isn't cracked, I'd use the large one anyway...but that's just my .02 and nobody asked me! :)
FWIW I agree with you completely...given that this is a known problem, may as well go for the big guns now and nip it in the bud. But, I can understand why someone would want the smaller plate (mainly for financial reasons, if someone's on a tight budget)...

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plasma cutters are very versatile machines.
I can't wait to get a reinforcement plate. My firewall is so bad I can't drive the truck (can't shift while stopped, engine is lugging when stopped in gear)
I never knew the large plate installed on the outside of the firewall, what am I going to have to remove from the firewall to put the plate on?

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
the more i look at it i don't think that it does. unless sle posts up some pics and proves me wrong lol

My bracket was made by using a factory one as a pattern so i cant see me being way off....

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always assumed they went on the inside, so we will see I guess.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ok...i re re re re re read the TSB. it most deffinitly installs inside the cab. SLe i dunno is someone may have made something and put it in there or modified the bracket so they didnt have to work under the dash i dont know..