Finally posting

1994IDI

Reaction score
I've been wanting to put this post up for awhile now, but have had no time. This thread doen't directly deal with an IDI other than it was brought about by death of my 94 turbo 7.3. I just wanted to catch up with the IDI crowd and ask for some suggestions.

I am out of Washington and in Mississippi for more training of a different and much more difficult manner. I;ve been here for almost a month and finally bought a truck a couple weeks ago. After all that time I was unable to get a transport company to bring it down here. Something about coming all the way to the coast and it messing up their routes. To get anyone of the shipping companies to bring it down here, after fuel surcharges etc. It would have cost me $1000, even though all their initial quotes were hundreds of dollars lower. Anyway, I digress.

The truck is a '97 F250 with a first gen 12 valve mated to the factory ZF5. Sorry I bailed on the IDI guys, lol. But there is no denying this motor already has power my IDI could never touch, and pulled off 16 mpg last night at 75-80 mph with the same 4.10 diff. Ratio as my IDI, but my IDI would have not gotten better than 12 mpg at those speeds. This truck is definitely not as nice as my 94 however. I bout it sight unseens, the body has been done and looks very nice, but there are a lot of small problems, and the interior is not in great shape. I definitely miss the "like new" condition of my '94.

I got a wild hair in my ass Friday and drove from here to southern Indiana and drove it back on Sat. This weekend was the first weekend I've been able to leave the base, I went Fri, and rented a car and took off. It took me 9 hours to get up there in beautiful Toyota Yaris LOL, and about 10 hours driving time coming back Sat in the truck. It rained the the entire F-ing time! 1200 miles in two days and it never stopped raining. I was pissed. Which brings me to first question.

I was around birmingham with my wiper on, when the driver side wiper arm flew over 180 degrees, so it was sticking out past the drivers side of the truck. The wiper was hanging out by my window. This caused both arms to lock up. I pulled over and couldn't get them to move. It was pouring down rain. Long story short, I made it to an advance auto, where I found out the wiper motor was dead. I replaced it outside in the rain with the tools I had with me and I was on my way with wipers again. An hout down the road, the exact same thing happened. The wipers were on and all of a sudden, the drivers side arm over extended and they locked up so tight I just pulled the wiper arm off, and drove carefully to Biloxe with no wipers. Any ideas at all about what coukd be causing this?

I just noticed how long this post is getting so Im going to shorten it up. The ZF5 started making a lot of chatter throughout the trip last night, and got really bad once I got to the base. As I woukd shift gears and first release the clutch, the thing would chatter like crazy, and it seemed to get louder and louder. Then I finally got here and it started smelling hot throught vents. (I had the heat on): I already know the second gear synchros are out. If I don't start out in second, I have to match rpms to get it to drop in there. But can anyone help me with the chatter? 8m afraid to drive it to the parts store.

Sorry for the long post, but please read my "constant power" thread in the diesel down forum if you have any electrical knowlege.. Then give me a round of applause, because this was all done on my phone, LOL. I just wanted to update you guys and ask for a little advice. I will try to figure out how to post pics from my phone. Thanks y'all, have a good rest of the weekend,
Jared

EDIT, Can anyone tell me how to post pics from a droid smart phone? Someone out there has to be more tech saavy than me.

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upload the pcs to photobucket or faebook then put a link in your post. That's the only way I have found to do it. That or email them to someone that can post them up.

I also do most of ny posting from my droid phone.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upload the pcs to photobucket or faebook then put a link in your post. That's the only way I have found to do it. That or email them to someone that can post them up.

I also do most of ny posting from my droid phone.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
First I would check the fluid yes and regarding the noises, does it have a single flywheel or did they keep the original dual mass flywheel?

1994IDI

Reaction score
First I would check the fluid yes and regarding the noises, does it have a single flywheel or did they keep the original dual mass flywheel?

I wondered that myself, but I don't know. The previous owner didn't know.

Does anyone know what size wrench the cap takes to check the fluid level and where I find it?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Good to hear from ya, Jared. Man, I have no expeirence dealing with a Fummins but did ya open the inspection plate and check the pressure plate screws for tightness? Is this a fresh swap or did the PO put miles on this thing? I am suspecting a DMF issue or loose hardware is a good place to start.

Darrin has had good luck keeping in touch with us IDI purest, I hope you expierence the same. Good luck in training, Keep us posted

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is something that controls the limit from side to side. Does the multifunction switch behind the glovebox control this? I don't think there is much else besides the switch on the column which wouldn't cause this, then the multifunction switch, and then the wiper motor itself. I feel for ya changing that wiper motor in the rain!

1994IDI

Reaction score
It is very clean underneath, i don,t think there are a lot of miles on it yet.

Can anyone elaborate on the pressure plate screws, or anything else on the tranny. Anyone near biloxi want to sell a ZF5?

Tom, Imm not familiar with that switch. What am I looking for?

1994IDI

Reaction score
It is very clean underneath, i don,t think there are a lot of miles on it yet.

Can anyone elaborate on the pressure plate screws, or anything else on the tranny. Anyone near biloxi want to sell a ZF5?

Tom, Im not familiar with that switch. What am I looking for?

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am hoping someone who knows more about the wiper system than me will chime in as to if that could affect it at all on the travel. The multifunction switch is behind the glovebox. If you open the glovebox and press in from the sides you can pull it open further or take it clear off. I believe you need a screwdriver or something to pry the switch off the bracket. I can take a picture of mine if you want sometime. Its pretty easy to get to. My truck had been sitting a few years when I replaced mine with one from a junkyard (cost 10.00) and there was a wasp nest up behind the dash! I got drove away from the truck a few times.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay actually I think I called that the wrong thing. I think its called the wiper control module. The multifunction switch is the turn signal lever on the column! Oops

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got a new truck. Sorry you couldn't find one as clean as the old one , that thing was just plain purdy.
Have you run some good injector cleaner through it? if it's not firing even, that will make your tranny put up a racket

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wipers

Your wiper arm problem is most likely the bushings are worn out where the arms attach and the motor attaches to the rods that drive them.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your wiper arm problem is most likely the bushings are worn out where the arms attach and the motor attaches to the rods that drive them.

What he said.

None of the switches, nor even the motor itself, have anything to do with controlling the path of the wipers.

The motor-shaft simply goes round and round, like any other motor; IT DOES NOT OSCILLATE BACK-AND-FRO.

A short "pitman" linkage, connected to the wiper-motor arm, sort of makes the rest of the linkage arms travel back-and-forth via an eccentric motion.

Pull the cowl-cover underneath the windshield and you will probably find the plastic wiper-linkage bushings all but gone. ;Really