Favorite diesel engine...

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my 7.3 idi wit Banks turbo. Also had 6.2 GM, so not much to compare to. After having my 7.3 I will not own another gasser truck again.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my 6.9. Never left me stranded. I also liked my dads old 5.7 diesel Cadillac. It was slow but got 25-27 mpgs.

My tdi is great on fuel, but the old 1.6 Turbo I had in an 84 would run circles around a stock tdi.

I've begun moving over to cummins but they seem to cost me a lot more than the ford lol.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
4-53 or a 6-53 Detroit. Sound makes me happy. Then it turns into ringing LOL

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
any v style two stroke detroit as stated above. plus they just look bad ass.

989 V8 Mack. another bad ass engine.

Keeway

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
all 2 stroke detroits. i own 3 of em, and v8 macks are sweet too. dads got 2 of them and brother has 1. and for pickups i like the 6.9 i just like old school **** i guess

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
While I do love the Detroit roll, in a pickup I like my IDI, it treats me good...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything considered an under dog is good in my book.

I have a '68 GMC 2 ton HD wheat truck my gpa bought new when he graduated college. It has a GMC 478 v6 Toro Flow diesel with over 1 million on the engine, use to be his OTR trucking rig to pay for the farm, its been coast to coast and he has made several trip from Mexico city to deep into canada and even Alaska. Supposedly a junk engine. One day i want to remodel the truck and make it a 478TD

Old detroits make me smile and my mini detroit (6.2/6.5's) can make me hard :love:

I dont mind a cummins but they better not be in dodge and it better be in a workhorse.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two 6.2ltr gm diesels82 and 85... I have one cummins 1st gen in my 91 CC dually ... and I have a 98 2nd gen cummins in the back yard ... but my favorite is the 2.2 litre Isuzu in my Toyota Four Runner ... 50MPG... and all the power you could ask for ... the bottom line is all about fuel economy and dependability ...

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my fav diesel is the LDT465 Multifuel in my M35...it can run on anything from JP-4 to the shattered hopes and dreams of small children.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
My favorite engine of all time is BY FAR the B series Hino diesel that Toyota used in their B series Landcruisers. They are bulletproof, low maintenence, very reliable, clean burning and economical to run. They have no timing belt, mechanical lifters and an oil lubed inline pump which is very tolerant to poor quality fuels and neglect. I have had numerous B series landcruisers from a 1978 2B to a 1989 13B-T direct injection turbo. They are all great and I take good care of them and they have done wonders for me. A close second is the Mercedes OE616 and 617 diesels. considered by many to be the worlds best built motor. Maybe they do deserve that title however, they are higher maintenece than the B series, and they have a timing chain instead of gears. Nevertheless, they were excellent mills!!! Then there is the 2.2 izuzu that was mentioned which was also outstanding. And the 2.2 perkins that Ford used in their rangers prior to 1985. I had one of them with 870,000km on it. Motors like the little L series 2.2 and 2.4 toyota pickup diesels and 1.6vw diesels were great on fuel and reliable as a horse but they did have a timing belts and mixed metal engines. Good motors but, not the best in my books.
Then when it comes to North american stuff, I like the 6.2 in light applications and IH idi's and early 12v cummins in heavy applications. But any engine that was known for possible head gasket issues, dropped valves due to bad guides, dropped "death pin dowels" or injection pumps that only last 150,000miles is not even worth comparing to some of the better engines out there. Especially when fuel economy is more important now then it has ever been. And I don't even consider post 1994 stuff when im thinking good engines...just too much electronics and this is the era when vehicles were starting to be really designed not to last, and its gone down hill from there. Look at the diesels of today...what a joke. You got to pull the cab off of the Fords to do any engine work, which they need a lot of I might add. Dodge and GM aint far behind. and with todays technology and for the price we are paying for new vehicles; we can be building a truck engine that gets 40+mpg no problem and small engines to get probably close to 100mpg. People who keep falling for this new stuff got to give their heads a shake.

Then the commercial stuff is not fresh in my mind but I have always been a Mack fan, E6350 is what I have now. I liked the early cummins 350s etc. Detroits are just cool in my mind, don't know if I were to buy one again to run more then occasionally due to them beign just too high strung for me and they like to drink the oil, which aint cheap anymore either. I also run an early 425 CAT at work, been a great engine to. We have a early 2000's kenworth with a C13 CAT in it, spends more time in the shop then working. Way too much electronics and garbage on them. They are good on fuel however.

And as for gas engines, the old dodge slant 6 was just too good to be true, ******* fuel but reliable. I have heard of people getting many miles out of vortec and triton engines also, but have heard just as many if not more horror stories also.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the large truck engines ... the 3406 C-model cat was my favorite ... I had one in a Volvo truck that landed in my lap ... got good mileage ... and pulled like the devil was chasing it ... It was dead stock @ 425 and my bro' was driving a 05 with a 550 cat acert and I was a 97000 and he was at 78000 and I just passed him like he was going backwards .... I averaged 8.25 loaded with and I got a little over 14 empty ... (log truck with the trailer stacked) The only long term problem with these engines is the crank was and early E crank and they would break behind the front main bearing after they got around a million miles on them ... but they would pull @ 1000 - 1400 all day and walk around anything on the road ... but the 2.2 liter Isuzu that I had mentioned is my fav cuz of the heavy casting .. and you don't see many small diesels with piston coolers ... and this one had them ... and it was a n/a engine ... the only draw back i ave seen is the timing belt and trying to get parts for it ... I am currently trying to get pistons .030 over or just rings and bearings and have the block sleeved back to spec and its like trying to s**t money ...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I also failed to mention the SD25 n/a Nissan diesel. I had one in a high mileage 1985 720 2wd pickup. The only thing that was EVER replaced on that engine was glow plugs and a used starter. Rarely had oil changed and never used fuel conditioners. never an issue with that engine, never missed a beat and had fair power and good fuel economy.

Man I wish car makers were making stuff like this again, I almost cry when I see yet another rare old diesel go to the wreckers due to rust, abuse and are friends the D.O.T

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a VW Caddy pickup that had over 200K. It still got 38mpg, but was using oil. I shimmed valves, changed oil and glow plugs and that was it. I sold it and bought a PSD to be able to tow. I bet that VW is still on the road somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online