Fast idle solenoid

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a replacement fast idle solenoid for my 87 6.9, mine is there but has spilled it's internals all over the valley pan. I have looked on eBay with no luck and have not seen an idi in any of the junkyards I frequent in quite some time. If anyone has one they are willing to part ways with let me know. Also the o-ring on the block heater is leaking and I would like to know the size/ part number of that o ring. I can buy another heater unit but mine works fine and I don't care to replace it unless I have to so if anyone can shed any light on that subject I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe uhaultruckparts.com has them available. It has been awhile since I was on their site though.

Rock

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ordered the one from classic diesel design, for $25 plus shipping you can't beat it.

Edit* now if I can find that pesky o ring for the block heater I will be good to go!

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I ordered the one from classic diesel design, for $25 plus shipping you can't beat it.

Edit* now if I can find that pesky o ring for the block heater I will be good to go!
Personally, for all the aggravation, I would replace the whole heater. You have to drain the coolant and drop the the starter, so for $50 with a cord you might as well do it while you are in that far. I get my heaters from napa, they are good quality, just make sure to lubricate the o ring either way.

Rock

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SuperDave check the wire gauge (size) before you get a new one. i would recommend 14 gauge wire or bigger because most appliance cords are 14 gauge

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@SuperDave check the wire gauge (size) before you get a new one. i would recommend 14 gauge wire or bigger because most appliance cords are 14 gauge

I have a new old stock cord from ford, I bought it because the original cord caught fire the second I plugged it in it was in such poor shape. I can get an o.e.m ford heater for $70 but the heater works and is probably new since this is a reman engine. It only leaks when it's super cold outside, once the engine runs long enough for the coolant temperature to start to rise it dries up. Honestly I think I may just put a freeze plug in the hole since I don't use the heater that much.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I have a new old stock cord from ford, I bought it because the original cord caught fire the second I plugged it in it was in such poor shape. I can get an o.e.m ford heater for $70 but the heater works and is probably new since this is a reman engine. It only leaks when it's super cold outside, once the engine runs long enough for the coolant temperature to start to rise it dries up. Honestly I think I may just put a freeze plug in the hole since I don't use the heater that much.
That is totally up to you, but the block heater saves a lot of wear on the engine during cold starts, and when your truck won't start, it is great for diagnosing problems.

Rock

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is totally up to you, but the block heater saves a lot of wear on the engine during cold starts, and when your truck won't start, it is great for diagnosing problems

The biggest reason I considered eliminating the block heater is that even though it is identified by the emissions label as an 87 6.9 it is actually the earlier "440" block that I've been told is prone to crack around the block heater area. This one is in fact not cracked (before the chicken littles come along) and I would like it to remain that way. However I have owned several other trucks with the earlier style block that I used the block heater in with no issues but I have also always used a timer to operate them for 3-5 hours depending on ambient temperature. I do have a block heater that I bought from Napa to use in a later block and never could get it to fit correctly so I may try it in this block and see what happens.

Last edited:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a new block heater, the retainer will break or is already broken on yours when you remove it.

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about the block cracking, install one of the heaters that fits in the lower radiator hose.

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
Good point. I missed the part about it being an early block, so it would probably be best to replace the original heater with a freeze plug, then use an inline radiator hose heater like @franklin2 suggested.

Rock

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I am in need of a replacement fast idle solenoid for my 87 6.9, mine is there but has spilled it's internals all over the valley pan. I have looked on eBay with no luck and have not seen an idi in any of the junkyards I frequent in quite some time. If anyone has one they are willing to part ways with let me know. Also the o-ring on the block heater is leaking and I would like to know the size/ part number of that o ring. I can buy another heater unit but mine works fine and I don't care to replace it unless I have to so if anyone can shed any light on that subject I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks again.

Just delete the fast idle. They adjust the regular idle to be about 1000rpm when cold and call it done.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just delete the fast idle. They adjust the regular idle to be about 1000rpm when cold and call it done.

The higher rpm helps get rid of the racket from a zf 5 speed and the solid flywheel also.

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about the block cracking, install one of the heaters that fits in the lower radiator hose.

That's really what I'd like to do, I've just never seen anyone do it to an idi and haven't been brave enough to attempt to figure it out myself. I don't think the heater that goes in the lower hose is very expensive either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online