fan clutch removal

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what size wrench fits the nut to take the fan clutch off. I want to make me a wrench for it....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you, but I used a piece of cardboard and kept trimming it till it fit around the nut and used it as a pattern. I also then took a piece of 1/4 steel plate and used the torch to cut a wrench out. I then cut another one big enough to lay on top of the waterpump bolts, and then drilled holes in that piece to match the studs to I could hold the waterpump still while I loosened the fan.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
And the threads are left hand so you loosen it by turning it the opposite direction to normal. Righty loosen.. Lefty tighten..

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...I started the engine removal process tonight....hopefully i will have mine back and turboed in a few weeks....:sly

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try as I might I couldn't get mine to loosen the last time. It was about gone anyway so I cut it off so I could use the pulley on the new water pump.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Air hammer and chisel...***....no way...Air hammer and pneumatic wrench for fans YES! Chisel just makes mess on flats.

Use the right tool for the job! The pneumatic setup I have has NEVER failed me!

A tool to hold the fan bolts or stop the wp from spinning is essential BTW!

Install with LOCKTITE BLUE BTW

JM2CW

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air hammer and chisel...***....no way...Air hammer and pneumatic wrench for fans YES! Chisel just makes mess on flats.

JM2CW

Yeah i think the po done that cause the nut is skint up on the edges....no way im using a chisel....

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
O too have had a few that were junk, I used a torch to just cut the nose of the hub off, then I was ablt to get on the big chunk that was left with a gun ..

Black dawg

Reaction score

JM2CW

everybody has a method, and air hammer and chisel works great for me. Done correctly, you wont make a mess of the nut.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the matco fan clutch set and a snapon air chisle. ive broken the tool that goes in the gun 2x. i have a 18 inch blunt chisle that goes into the gun for the hard to get loose ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86