!!fan clutch eliminator!!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the clutch being locked up and being pinned when the motor shuts off?

Sure a faan will coast even if locked up when you shut the engine down

If it is pinned it can't coast

bigrigdom

Reaction score
ok, I just sent an email off to ms tech for some info about thier product. thanks for all of the help with this. if it wasnt for this forum i doubt my truck would still be running.
Dom

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure a faan will coast even if locked up when you shut the engine down

I have always been told that to tell when a fan-clutch is bad, shut the engine off and a bad clutch will coast; whereas, a good clutch will stop the fan dead in it's tracks.

I know the good ones on some of the Cummins trucks I have will not coast on shut-off and the bad ones will.

Why don't some of you have someone shut-off your engines, while observing the fan, and see if this theory holds true.

It would be interesting to know.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If the fan is freewheeling, as in NOT engaged, it will spin freely when the engine is shut down.

Even if it is engaged, as in cooling the engine. It will still spin when the engine is shut down. Just not as fast, or as long.

fireman438

Reaction score
Let us not forget that fan clutches do actually serve a purpose. They allow the fan to work in conjunction with the thermostat to regulate the engine temp. under varying loads. The clutch is there to disengage the fan when it is not needed, thereby saving fuel. Using a solid mount fan won't hurt anything except fuel mileage.

Rich

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online