!!fan clutch eliminator!!

bigrigdom

Reaction score
ok guys Iam getting ready to go to Carquest and pick up a fan clutch eliminator. What I need to know is if I need one for a 5/8" or 3/4" shaft?
That is the question I was asked by the employee @ carquest & I dont have the slightest idea of what n thee hell it is.
Thank you in advance for your help
DOM

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
neither.
the eliminator you are thinking about is bolted to the water pump using the shaft as the locating pilot.
IDI's are threaded onto the water pump using LH threads and is of the diameter of 35mm to 40mm. the wrench used to remove the fan clutch is 42mm.
good luck!

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Gee I think pinning it could be dangerious-think about what happens when the engine is shut down -there is a lot of enertia built up in a spinning fan(especially one that heavy) these engines stop fast because of thier compression. that energy has to be stopped and the fan just wants to keep going-I can see possibly loosening the threads and sipinning the fan off into the radiator.Never seen it happen but it sure seems possible.If I pinned one I'd make sure it was extra tight. Plus I would hate to waste that power when it wasn't needed.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee I think pinning it could be dangerious-think about what happens when the engine is shut down -there is a lot of enertia built up in a spinning fan(especially one that heavy) these engines stop fast because of thier compression. that energy has to be stopped and the fan just wants to keep going-I can see possibly loosening the threads and sipinning the fan off into the radiator.Never seen it happen but it sure seems possible.If I pinned one I'd make sure it was extra tight. Plus I would hate to waste that power when it wasn't needed.
omb brings up a good point.
I've seen it happen once when friend of mime just finished swaping in a crate motor and "thought" he had the fan clutch on tight enough. He was just put in a new radiator and the fan/clutch assy turned the colling tubes into hamburger meat. yup. he was really pissed.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have successfully "pinned" several of them.

Some truck applications have direct-drive clutchless fan hubs; that would also be an alternative.

Pinning the clutch has been discussed dozens of times and a search should yield plenty of reading.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I understand it can be done, but IMHO its a VERY bad idea.
Had a fan expload on one of ours once and the blade took off through the radiator and ruined it.
BAD BAD BAD idea.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the clutch being locked up and being pinned when the motor shuts off?

Personally I think the fan belt would slip before a "properly" tightened clutch would spin off. The threads themselves don't hold it, you tighten down against a tapered seat like spark plugs / glow plugs have.

bigrigdom

Reaction score
well i didnt go to carquest but are you saying that they wont have it anyway and the only way to accomplish this is to pin the fan clutch? I was gonna buy a new one untill I realized how much ford wants for one. w/company discount its still $235. would it be worth going to a junkyard and trying to find one? and to take it off do I take the bolts off of the pulley or loosen that big *** nut lookin thingy (sorry for all the technical jargon but this old girl is still new to me)between the pulley and fan clutch? thanks guys.
dom

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You loosen that big old giant nut looking thingy! See if the loan-a-tool program at your local parts store has a "Ford Fan Clutch Wrench Set" it should have what you need.

For the $235, it is worth it to get a properly functioning fan clutch. Junkyard parts are probably in the same condition as your failed unit, so you'll be time and money ahead to just put a new, warrantied part on your truck.

My $.02
Ryan

Diesel Dave

Reaction score
Flex-A-Lite offers a clutch eliminator nut that replaces the nut holding the clutch/fan assembly on the water pump. They also have a seven bladed fan that will probably cool the truck fine (if you like flex fans). They do however recommend staying with the clutch fan setup when doing alot of pulling.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget spending $235 on a factory fan clutch! You can even get an MS-tech clutch for less money than that. You could also investigate if you can get a continuous duty fan clutch from IH for one of their truck apps as Midnight Riderr mentioned. Might be safer than pinning it unless you really know what you're doing. You can get a standard fan clutch for less than $200 at any auto parts house.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yep, the MS Tech is the way to go.

There were several threads over @ TDS about improper tightening/pinning the clutch. Most had unfavorable results

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7