Famous idi for sale

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was on ebay before, may like 6 months ago. Up for sale again @ same price.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
It'll never sell for $14k. It's just too old.

I would have to kindly argue that. I would go out on a limb and say that this truck may be the first IDI worthy of the Barret Auto Auction.;Really Not soley because its an IDI, this truck went out on explorations that were unprecedented. It broke through and set new boundaries for the exploration venue. Of course, I could be smoking something real good too:rolleyes:LOL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I just spoke with the owner, Steve, on the phone. He has an incredible history on this truck. His wife does all the internet associated stuff and I will be talking to her soon, gonna try to get her to join oilburners and share some info and history on this rig. She has over 20 pages documenting what this truck has done over the years. Steve even went as fat to say he is more concerned about finding the truck a proper home than the coin he gets from it. He also said he paid quite a bit more than the asking price of $18,000 for it. Despite having mucho dinero into it, Steve also said he would consider donating it to the right 4x4 association. He has considered taking the camper off of it but can not bring himself to alter the truck and ultimately take away from its history.

There is about 70,000 miles on a factory Ford rebuilt drivetrain and the turbo 7.3. The chassis has over 300,000 miles on it, many being 100% off road exploration. The Turtle 3 is definitely a testament to the IDI's abiltiy to be a rugged and reliable powerplant.:sly

If nothing else, I hope we can uncover some great history on this infamous IDI. Maybe one of us will have a link to finding this legend a new home and expanding on its history. For some reason, I hope this truck gets the justice it dseserves. Too bad they are 20 hours from the rally, this would be a great truck to check out in person.:angel:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Wanted it the last time it was up on ebay.

Want it again this time.

Totally agree with you on this one Goose

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very very nice rig lol the price it will never sell. its not worth that much money to anyone really. We could restore our own for that and make it how we want it to the T. I love the camper. As for it keeping up with other stuff at the price no way. I can buy a long travel full king off road sup. with a 525 hp supercharged sand rail. Or a complete F-150 04 4x4 long travel 30,000 miles for that price. Still yet truck is an animal and would go every where but its only worth 10k tops. Anyone that I know says I have a nice idi but they would never in no way put 11g's into and 89 idi. I have to pay 300 dollars a month for classic insurance on my truck so that way I get back MOST of what I got in my truck full coverage is only 2,200 dollars for my truck their Funny. Much less for 18k used up. I would buy this truck though if I won the lotto:sly

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was on ebay before, may like 6 months ago. Up for sale again @ same price.

I think this may be its third time up on ebay. It will sell at that price only if one of you talking it up can pony up. I certainly won't pay that for it, though it is a really nice rig.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sweet Rig, and Defiantly worth the asking price. Yes I know that it is an "old" truck, but did the naysaysrs actually READ the whole ad to see what all has been professionally done to that rig? You could not duplicate that truck today for under $25K, starting with the truck sitting in your driveway.

. As for it keeping up with other stuff at the price no way. I can buy a long travel full king off road sup. with a 525 hp supercharged sand rail. Or a complete F-150 04 4x4 long travel 30,000 miles for that price. Still yet t

That is not comparing apples to apples, This rig was setup for word wide travel, not jumping desert sand dunes, of course it wont "keep Up" with a Long Travel Buggy, but what would you rather drive for a 6 month trek through Africa?

No doubt this is a lot of money but the attention to detail and extras are amazing, A power steering cooler with a removable cover,..Fire Extinguisher System,.Dual Wenches,.. well you c an read it

Again, Sweet Rig, and worth the asking price.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True that Darrin lol ya not a good example and would rather drive that through Africa for sure. You can buy a complete killer 4x4 rig out here in Cali for that kinda coin. I think the only right place for that truck is a museum honestly most won't pay that to look at it in storage. I would buy it if I had the coin but it would sit in the middle of my shop and never be moved its beautiful rig and would make a better teaching tool than someone's toy that just sets around. As most people now days have to spend what they have to keep there own truck on the road. I do agree maybe a diesel Buff on Barrett would have that kinda coin.