Trans/axle/engine upgrade advice for a '94 idi turbo

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings!
I started out in the idi world with an F250 6.9 idi. Now a '94 7.3 idi F350 dually has come home and now I have a few desires for it. The front axle needs to be changed out to a (Dana 60?) 4WD set up and that should come off another F350 1994/1998(?) I need to keep the same 8 lug wheel bolt pattern. The E40D trans, while nice, needs to be changed over to a 1999/2003 7.3 4R100 so I can hook up a tranny run PTO to power up a hyd winch. That also calls for a wiring harness to make the dash lights work properly when shifting into 4 WD. The transfer case will need to match the trans and the drive lines need to come out of the 4R100 donor vehicle.
The last problem being a controller for the 4R100 and I believe I have found one of those aftermarket. This might be a fun undertaking. Especially doing a trans swap on the ground.
After I get this done, I will be possibly looking for HP/torque gains for the engine and would like some suggestions for that. I would also like to add an exhaust brake to this project to go with an exhaust upgrade before changing the injection pump.
So, what do I need to do to make power? Any suggestions for the trans/axle swap?
I would have bought a 4X4 to start with but could only locate this 2WD when I bought this one.
So this project added a few kinks. Currently I am trying to get started on this project in the next month or two.
Thank in advance!
Bruce

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
To be blunt, in order to make more power, you need three things. More fuel, as in a bigger injector pump and possibly bigger injectors. More air, as in a bigger turbo. Finally an intercooler to keep the boosted air cool. The intercooler is almost a requirement. The bigger pump and injectors may or may not be required, depending on how much more power you want to make. The bigger turbo is along the same lines as the pump and injectors. if you don't have a turbo, that is the first place to start. You will also need a pyrometer so that you can keep an eye on your EGTs. Since you're in Oregon, I'd recommend getting a hold of Russ(Typ4) since he's out in those parts too. He does rebuilds on pumps and injectors. He also rebuilds turbos. He may have something to sell if you don't have a turbo already, but I'm not sure on that.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the info. Today i just dropped the first 560+ at rock auto buying a few things including some Motorcraft glow plugs. Tomorrow will be a trip to the trans parts supplier for a shift kit of some sort and then to get started making it a bit more dependable when the parts start showing up.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Check on the PTO you need... they are very specific to the trans (ratio, gear size & pitch) even though they all use the same bolt pattern. Many newer tow-trucks have gone to using a belt drive hyd pump for their setups.

The 85-94 Dana 60 will use the same calipers you have, but the 95-97 Dana 60 has slightly bigger rotors and, and the caliper style/mounting is improved.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the years you need a front axle out of is 87-96. Why not save yourself a mountain of work and find a 4x4 e4od? There’s pto equipped bw1356’s. Or a zf5 has pto also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk