Need help 7.3 idi keeps running hot

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slam the hood shut and drive it. Quit touching the engine and the radiator when they are hot, you could get burned. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. Don't worry about it unless it gets over 230F. If it doesn't burn oil like crazy and has plenty of power, leave it alone.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Often the “keeper” or retainer for the ball is a little rubber ferrule that has swollen or got filled with silicone.the last one I did I used a short piece of copper tube the size of the well in the block but slightly too long. I then very patiently peened the remainder to form the little flange that keeps the ball in. Cleaned up the ID of the ho
One thing I have run into over the years is a blocked or missing air bleed check ball under the thermostat housing in the block. The ball should be there and free. Of clogged air gets trapped under the thermostat. If missing it allows enough coolant to bypass the thermostat to keep it from warming up unless under load. Leaving the thermostat out will cause it to overheat.
K

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either old bull(rip) or gary posted a tech 101 on fitting a replacement lost check ball and keeper...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online