factory turbo vs aftermarket

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck does have a 7.3. still think head gaskets and studs? Any idea how much extra time it should take a pro to do this while doing the turbo

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know how much time it'd take them. It really depends on their experience and skill. If they pull the heads for new gaskets, adding studs doesn't take significantly more time than putting in head bolts. For Pete Johnson's sake, if they remove and replace the heads, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW THE CORRECT SEQUENCE FOR HEADS! If they just buzz the head bolts on and off randomly, you could have a set of ruined heads.

Heath

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Telma http://www.telmausa.com/telma_htm/default.htm

I rode in a Dodge a while back that had one. It'll throw you thru the windshield when you apply it, works way slicker than an exhaust brake. They are far from cheap, but if you really need additional braking thats a good option IMO.

and yes any turbo will put more strain on the motor. it raises cylinder pressures. That said, seems like common consensus is that if used in a reasonable fashion, a turbo won't destroy one of these IDIs.
Thanks ill look into that. Already have the exhaust brake and complete exhaust from the other truck so I want to use it. Dont want to kill truck tho.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Studs are cheap insurance on any 6.9 or 7.3 either turbo or not. My 89 engine ran well over 250 thousands miles with the passenger side head never off the block. that factory gasket lasted thru some heavy long pulls all over the US and Canada. The drivers side head was removed due to cavitation on a cylinder. even though the engine was out of the truck and I TOLD the shop to replace the other head gasket they didn't...:mad:-cuss They probably thought I would be back later and they would get me for more labor....:moon: Well.. That never happened. A turbo will cut down how long these engines live but think of it this way. If you got 300 to 400 thousands miles on your turboed engine just how much more could you have gotten leaving it non turboed. Nobody around these forums really knows. All the big three turbo companys installed turbos on these engine with plenty of research before hand. Banks knows whats going on as does Hypermex or ATS. Nobody sued them for ruining their engines. So will a turbo cut down on the life on these engines.... Honestly my answer must be maybe or its possible. I tend to feel it wont hurt them. Based on what I have read here.. Seen in real life... these are really well built engines with the life expendancy of a long full life compared to whats offered these days. There is exceptions to this as usual but I like the simplisity of these engines to repair easily. An injector in our engines is easy to repalce. In any newer engine you remove a vlave cover. Plus whatever else is covering the engine... Some trucks require the cab be removed to work on the rear side of the engines.... Who the heck designed that mess... And yes... Ford along with the other companys have the special cab lifting tools to remove the cabs.... Not my road side kind of repair....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studs are cheap insurance on any 6.9 or 7.3 either turbo or not.......... Some trucks require the cab be removed to work on the rear side of the engines.... Who the heck designed that mess... And yes... Ford along with the other companys have the special cab lifting tools to remove the cabs.... Not my road side kind of repair....

*****....but Gary...you could have another kewl tool and store that behind yer seat;Poke:sly:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger