factory turbo vs aftermarket

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here but not to idi. Does anybody here think that the factory 94 turbo idi motor is effectivly better than putting a sidewinder on a regular na? Does putting a turbo on an idi shorten its lifespan? Sorry about my lack of pictures or details of my rigs, Ill get them on there soon. Thanks in advance.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
one of these days im gonna turbo mine. it has 288k miles and i think it will last. if not it will get a studded 6.9

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a 6.9, then I'd recommend doing the headgaskets and adding studs before hand. Otherwise, it's basically the same result with turboing a N/A IDI vs. Ford doing it. I added a Banks turbo to my '86 crew cab with 322,000 on the clock, after freash headgaskets and studs of course.;Sweet

Heath

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about to turbo and exhaust brake my 91 f350 work truck w/ the componets from my terminaly ill 93. Dont know how many miles on the 91 but its a bunch. Haven't had anyone come out and say the turbo is ******* the motor. Im looking for another truck and havent got any real indication that the factory turbo is much different than putting a turbo on a na. I think a turbo on an idi is just as good as it gets if it doesnt affect longevity.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how many miles my 86 6.9 has but it doesn't seem to have any problems holding 13 psi of boost with a factory turbo kit. I have an 093 kit on another motor and it seems to breath better and spool faster than the factory kit. I plan the swap the factory kit with a banks sidewinder I have to see if there is a difference. Just have to find the time.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Im about to turbo and exhaust brake my 91 f350 work truck w/ the componets from my terminaly ill 93. Dont know how many miles on the 91 but its a bunch. Haven't had anyone come out and say the turbo is ******* the motor. Im looking for another truck and havent got any real indication that the factory turbo is much different than putting a turbo on a na. I think a turbo on an idi is just as good as it gets if it doesnt affect longevity.

from what i know these motors are not ment to have an exhaust brake. somethign about the valve springs not being designed for it, you should check on that.

as far a turboing, i put mine on at around 175K or so and am up to 191K with no issues and i dont expect any. diesels take turbos well, gassers are the ones that seem to wear out much quicker. of coarse anything will start to break down if you run it really hard.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 6.9, then I'd recommend doing the headgaskets and adding studs before hand. Otherwise, it's basically the same result with turboing a N/A IDI vs. Ford doing it. I added a Banks turbo to my '86 crew cab with 322,000 on the clock, after freash headgaskets and studs of course.;Sweet

Heath
will the boost put more strain on the headgasket thus needing to stud it. Ill be paying to have it done so how long should it take a pro to put on fresh head gaskets and studs while its getting turbo and exhaust. btw thanks for the quick responses, I should have joined this forum years ago.

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn it dont tell me that, exhaust brake is crucial to my whole operation. My 93 has a sidewinder and an exhaust brake that I think has been on there for most of 200k miles. truck probably at 230k. It had lots of smoke coming out of the dipstick hole for a long time which didn't seem to concern anybody I asked. Exhaust seemed to get smokier over time and developed a knock which my mechanic assured me was an injector. Well that fixed the knock he thought I was talking about. He immediately heard the deep knock that I was worried about after the injector knock was out of the way and was not at all optomistic. Other symptoms; blue smoking like a tire fire on cold start that doesnt stop until warm. Smoke starts to clear coinciding w/ missing, then intermittent puffs then kind of clear. Any ideas, turbo or exhaust brake related?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Damn it dont tell me that, exhaust brake is crucial to my whole operation. My 93 has a sidewinder and an exhaust brake that I think has been on there for most of 200k miles. truck probably at 230k. It had lots of smoke coming out of the dipstick hole for a long time which didn't seem to concern anybody I asked. Exhaust seemed to get smokier over time and developed a knock which my mechanic assured me was an injector. Well that fixed the knock he thought I was talking about. He immediately heard the deep knock that I was worried about after the injector knock was out of the way and was not at all optomistic. Other symptoms; blue smoking like a tire fire on cold start that doesnt stop until warm. Smoke starts to clear coinciding w/ missing, then intermittent puffs then kind of clear. Any ideas, turbo or exhaust brake related?

Get a Telma http://www.telmausa.com/telma_htm/default.htm

I rode in a Dodge a while back that had one. It'll throw you thru the windshield when you apply it, works way slicker than an exhaust brake. They are far from cheap, but if you really need additional braking thats a good option IMO.

and yes any turbo will put more strain on the motor. it raises cylinder pressures. That said, seems like common consensus is that if used in a reasonable fashion, a turbo won't destroy one of these IDIs.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
will the boost put more strain on the headgasket thus needing to stud it. Ill be paying to have it done so how long should it take a pro to put on fresh head gaskets and studs while its getting turbo and exhaust. btw thanks for the quick responses, I should have joined this forum years ago.

The 6.9 IDI has 7/16 head bolts. They don't hold as well as the larger 1/2 head bolts on the 7.3 IDI. So, studs help their headgaskets last a good long while. A good idea with an N/A 6.9, and important upgrade for a turbo'ed 6.9. With a 7.3, studs aren't needed, but are good insurance none the less.

By the way........ WELCOME TO OB!!!;Sweet

Heath

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. While I do expect way more than 230k out of an idi, it is quite a few for a hard workin truck with some boost and an exhaust brake. Does anyone see a direct correlation beween my dying symptoms and turbo or exhaust brake.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. While I do expect way more than 230k out of an idi, it is quite a few for a hard workin truck with some boost and an exhaust brake. Does anyone see a direct correlation beween my dying symptoms and turbo or exhaust brake.

I turbo'd my 93 with 230k on the clock and no issues. My 94 is at 229k miles factory turbo'd and has pulled some very large loads prior to my ownership. The 94 runs better than it probably did in 1994 when new.
Some of the more seriously mechanically inclined seniors like towcat, mel, russ, ican, etc.. could probably speak more to the correlation question. Would seem to me if you had a weak motor and then you popped a turbo on it and juiced it you certainly could send her over the edge

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I for one believe the turbo's actually help prolong the life of the IDI. The reason I say this is anyone who has towed a load with a non-turbo IDI in high elevation will put their hand in front of their buried in the red pyrometer and pretend it doesn't exist! :rotflmao

I agree with everyone above you should plan on installing new head gaskets if they aren't relatively new. Fel-pro and Victor seem to be the only way to go here. Head studs are highly recommended, but turbo'ed 6.9's can and have lived without them you just need to be very careful with boost pressure and engine temp amongst other things--that said I would install studs personally and be done with it.