F350 Slip Shaft Stuck?

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
The slip shaft rite behind the carrier bearing on my 1985 2wd crew cab wont separate, Im trying to get the back driveshaft out to do u joints. This thing is supposed to come apart rite?

sassyrel

Reaction score
The slip shaft rite behind the carrier bearing on my 1985 2wd crew cab wont separate, Im trying to get the back driveshaft out to do u joints. This thing is supposed to come apart rite?

do the splines move back and forth?? i know,,seems gongruous..but,,the seal that is at the back,,will not let it come apart easily..years ago,,they had a threaded collar you removed..now,,you have to pop it apart.......

IDI Til I Die

Reaction score
Just barely, I've managed to get about 2 inches of play in it now but it wont come apart. . So I just pop it apart?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
It will fight you going back together too. Just remove the entire shaft. I don't slip them apart ever.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

there's no reason to pull the shafts apart just to do u-joints. only reason why I ever to pull the rear section off is for towing. if you don't have a threaded collar and most newer slip shafts don't have the threaded collar, you pull like it is a life or death struggle. putting it back on is just as brutal.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do take it apart, take some chaulk and mark both pieces so you put them back together the same. It's a balanced assembly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.