F350, 7.3 idi, banks turbo, tranny problems

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, do we have any e4od experts? I'm thinking my R & 1st gear clutch pack in front of tranny, got damaged by my broken flex plate, allowing the torque converter to be out of balance.
Any body got any imput to this?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe the pump in the trans is damaged. The fluid is thicker when it's cold so it has higher pressure. You say that when you run it a few miles, you then have to rev it a little to get it to move. Again the slightly higher rpm's increase pressure by turning the pump faster. Now I'm far from a transmission expert so someone may correct me. I'd take it to a reliable transmission shop and see what they say.

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I do appreciate the offer, but not knowing the condition, by the time I have it shipped, I might not be in any better shape than I am now. If I knew of someone traveling past you and near me, then that could be a possibility.
Thx again.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All your posting and you still didn't say what trans fluid you are using. Use only Mercon V or any trans fluid that is full synthetic.
Over filling a E4OD is very bad/******* them, level should be checked when HOT in PARK/NEUTRAL with engine running. I like to keep the level at least 1/4" below the full line when real hot.
Overfilling causes the fluid to be whipped and aireated, the pump DOESN'T like to pump air.

A cracked/broken flexplate will not do damage to the trans internals, it may ruin the seal and or bearing on the shaft from pump to torque convertor, but then it would be leaking out the dust cover like a faucet.

Now, when you installed the TC back in after the replacing the flexplate, it's possible you didn't get the TC installed correctly back into the pump. If the TC flats where not lined up and inserted into the openings that could have ruined the pump. the Face of the TC should have been a 1/2" back from the face of the trans housing.

Did everything turn over freely or did you just start it up after install?

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, used the Mercon V fluid, and it was serviced correctly. I know the flex plate isn't going to do anything internal to tranny, but it was obvious the torque converter was shaking a little, because of the fretting that was obvious where it fits into the crank.
As far as the torque converter being installed correctly, I know of the notches that have to be aligned. I believe that's the keying with the pump. When I pulled the tranny, I purposely kept the TC snug in the tranny, so nothing could come out of alignment.
Thx for the input, but I've done all the obvious stuff. It's coming out; just not on the front burner right now. I've got 3 vehicles down.
Thing is, I don't farm anything out. Of course, if I were to get the tranny o/h'd, I'd farm that out. But I'm not coming off of $1700 for a rebuild.
Thx again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online