F350, 7.3 idi, banks turbo, tranny problems

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the F350 stranded me today. Drove it to church, 26 miles, selected R to back in, and no movement. Back to D, revved it a little, it moved, back to R, backed into my spot. Came out 3 hours later, and it doesn't want to pull itself. Revving just to start to move. AAA says it's not covered under my policy; weight; so I trailered it home.
Help, fluid level originally was a little low. After sitting 3 hours, driving @3 miles, now its above full, hot.
Don't know nothing about these tranny's.
Any good advice?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Fluid could just be low. Restart it and check it warm.
How'd the fluid look/smell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I checked it, hot, after 26 mile drive, it was at full cold level. So I figured it was low. Sat fir 3 hours. But, after driving @4-5 miles, checked it again, and it was above full hot. No external leaks.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's because when it's running and warm, it's being distributed through the trans.
When sitting and cold, everything has drained back to the pan.

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I realize that, but after sitting for 3 hours, and then driving @5 miles, would it not be warmed back up?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh, okay.
I misunderstood that part, because I thought it still wasn't moving.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny cause my truck done the same....drove it to church and on the way my alternator went out....time for a 3g upgrade....sorry about your luck....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moral of the story: dont go to church?
maybe you guys didnt put enough money in the collection basket :D

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've done a lot of researching, and I'm not clear about what tranny fluid to use. I recently drained the torque converter and had called the Ford Stealership to inquire about which fluid. Hope they didn't lead me astray with wrong tranny fluid to use.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year is your truck and does it have an od cancel button either on the shift column or on the dash?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh ok.you've got the e40d transmission.

so it goes into reverse just fine,in D it feels like it's in a high gear? do you have 2nd gear in the 1 and 2 positions?
does the od cancel light turn on when you press the button? if so,is it now glowing steady at approx half it's brightness?

ridgerunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, when everything is cold, it operates normal. I even power braked it in R and D, and it wanted to spin the tires. Let it run gor @ 15 minutes, got in, selected R, and had to rev up to move. Selected D, same thing.
On Sunday, it started with R, then, it wouldn't move till I revved it.
Let me back up the cary. @ a month ago, I developed a vibration, and bad driveline , metal on metal sound at idle, and cruise. I determined it was either flex plate or torque converter. I drained the torque converter through a filter, clean. Pulled the tranny, and the flex plate was cracked all the way around where it bolts to the crank. Only thing that kept me moving was the jagged break, it wasn't able to free spin. R&D'd the flex plate, called Ford to get proper fluid type, been doing good, till this past Sunday.
Did the wobbling torque converter damage the front pump in the tranny?
I'm about ready to look for a good used E4od tranny.
Thx.