Exhaust

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Alright seems to be alot of us doing exhaust work here recently and was just wondering the different things everyone has done and how they liked it. We have two IDI's in the family, my 7.3 and my brohters 6.9 and they both sound completly different. Mine is a five speed straight piped lnto 5" stacks on each side, very loud and it cakles. Brothers is single 3" running through Chery Bomb into collector box and then into 5" stacks. Cant really hear brothers inside the cab. What other options have yall cam up with? Both trucks will recieve tubos later this year I hope.

Andy

Attachments

• general 3.jpg
    general 3.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 12
  • stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 7
  • stacks 2.jpg
    stacks 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 8

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I have a 3 inch y pipe, into a summit welded deep tone muffler, then to a stainless flex joint, then a 90 up to the 4 inch cross box, then finally exiting a pair of 3 inch stacks. Very deep sound, no cackle - I don't like the cackle, deep and quiet until you really bring the r's up, then it sounds very deep and starts to talk, but no cackle - I don't like the cackle. My truck had true duals on it when I bought it, like 1 7/8 with glass packs. Sounded like a small block on crack - I don't like the cackle! :)

My EGT's of course dropped significantly. I hope to turbo someday, but who knows what I will do. I like the sound of my truck now and wouldn't care to change anything, but then - I don't like the cackle. Open pipes was very annoying as was the small tubes with small glass packs.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running an ATS 3" downpipe into a 4" MBRP exhaust intended for a 96-98 Powerstroke. Runs thru a straight-thru style muffler with the baffling towards the rear so it's a little louder and out the back thru a 5" tip. No cackle, not too loud. It surprises people when the old IDI rev's up and blows smoke thru a 5" tip....

Ryan

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
dazedandconfused said:
So I guess you dont like the Cackle then. :rotflmao

Sorry I had to, do you have the part # on that muffler?

Andy

Didn't I mention that...mine was embarrassing. It had a cackle at idle! :) It made so much pressure through that exhaust, I bet I could knock your hat off at 20 feet!

Here is what I have. I think a pair of them would sound great as well.
http://store.summitracing.com/defau...eywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

They are priced right as well, $35.95 each.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
reklund said:
I'm running an ATS 3" downpipe into a 4" MBRP exhaust intended for a 96-98 Powerstroke. Runs thru a straight-thru style muffler with the baffling towards the rear so it's a little louder and out the back thru a 5" tip. No cackle, not too loud. It surprises people when the old IDI rev's up and blows smoke thru a 5" tip....

Ryan

I bet it has a deep tone as well. I like the deep grumble these motors make. Mine at idle just has a good deep "huff" sound out each pipe. I love it.

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
That is the one thing I hope to get rid of out of mine is the cackle. I plan on Hypermax turbo and then 5" from downpipe into my stacks.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
is there any upgrade for the down pipe on the HM? mine is 2 1/4" or 2 1/2. It'll be great to have some 3 or 4" dp I have plenty space to put one of this on my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online