Exhaust Wheel won't come out of housing

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
So I have this ATS non-gated turbo, and I have it out and the bearing housing is loose as a goose from the exhaust impeller housing, but the wheel just won't come out.

The only thing I can think of is the heat shield is warped or something. When I pull on it I can spin the cold side and it feels like there is drag but not as if the outside of the wheel is hitting, just like the friction is enough to be at the shaft, make sense?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Is yours the 093, this one has the elbow that is all one piece with the up-pipe so to speak.

Like I say, the bearing housing will twist and wiggle really loose with the exhaust elbow/housing, the hot wheel should just come out, but it's sort of like the wheel is to big. It got in there somehow so I'm baffled.

Its not even carboned up bad if you look down the tube to the hot wheel.:dunno

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Is yours the 093, this one has the elbow that is all one piece with the up-pipe so to speak.

Like I say, the bearing housing will twist and wiggle really loose with the exhaust elbow/housing, the hot wheel should just come out, but it's sort of like the wheel is to big. It got in there somehow so I'm baffled.

Its not even carboned up bad if you look down the tube to the hot wheel.:dunno

Mine is an 088. It looks like one piece, but there is actually an expansion ring in a groove on the elbow that expands into a corresponding groove on the housing. It is a bear to get off, but it does come off. A real PITA. I had to use alot of heat and a big brass hammer.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your gonna ruin it if you keep screwing with it, remember the last one!!!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patience and Plywood has none by his own admission. Basically every disassembly is different, I am guessing the cast shield is siezed in there. And hammering on it will ruin the hot wheel and shaft.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Well I think ruining the last one is a bit of an overstatement, but I'm impatient for sure.

I called you a few times Russ, and to get this thing out of my hands before I did something wrong, I took it to our friends, whatchamacallit over there by the track.

That's the thing that's frustrating, I was being super careful, and everything was going great, but somehow the heat shield or whatever Russ said is jammed up or warped.

Maybe I'll hear later today.:dunno

I don't think I hurt anything, but obviously I had to be pulling and wiggling to figure out that it was the exhaust wheel that was hanging up on something, so there is of course some breed of wall contact.

I think everything will be fine if they get it apart Ok, but a balance might be in order.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in South dakota, whats the hurry for this one? And if you took it to the pump shop, it will be expensive.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
The hurry is that I'm impatient and have no checks coming in so I have to keep things moving.:D

I let them know I could have you do it for me for a fair price so you never know, we'll see when they call.

If you could PM me what your price is on that one I'll know what to do if he is high. If so I'll ask him how much I would owe him for separating it and go to you. I don't think it needs bearing boring or anything, actually looked good, I just want it to be all good to go so I cant throw it in a truck with confidence.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lemme know after they get it apart, that is the hardest part sometimes.

Throw a black bungee from the WG lever to the alt bracket and see if it helps the boost also, sometimes the WG spring gets weak and the exh gas will push it open.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
For the sake of anyones elses confusion, Russ' comment about the WG is about my PM to him talking about my 093.

I plugged it this morning and like it much better. I think cause of my short intake and K&N I can hear the WG open and I can't stand hearing those perfectly good exhaust gases getting away without making boost. Plus I think my rod was a little longer, dropping down the boost rate.

My IP is up from factory N/A, but only made some smoke in my N/A truck with good exhaust. I didn't turn the IP up when I added the turbo and now with the WG plugged I can't see any smoke til about I don't know it was probably 2500-2700 rpms when the boost must start dropping. By the way, I have no gauges, not even temp in the CC, just oil pressure and volts.LOL

I was gonna shorten the rod on the WG, but I'll try a bungee first and see if that makes any difference.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
They just called and said it needs a bearing bore, so I should have just waited til Russ reappeared. Didn't see the thread before about him going to ND. Although they said the shaft is bent so maybe I'll have to wait til I find a good used wheel or something to rebuild it anyway.

I'm wondering if they bent the shaft getting it apart, maybe I did, but frankly, if it had to be done, I feel better thinking they did it.:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might be able to get it straightened. and I can hone the housing or supply a new one,.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't clarify, I'm going to go pick it up. He seemed to be more than happy to give it back no charge. Probably felt bad, but like I say, I should've waited for you (Russ), but I still would rather know they couldn't get it apart without hurting it then hurt it myself, so you (Russ), can't give me ****.LOL

Really I was more concerned the Exhaust housing would get damaged or cracked, well knock on wood, I haven't seen it yet.