Exhaust Brake on a Windsor

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I'm in the process of scrapping out my 86 (Plates were to expensive, and it wasn't safe to be driven), but anyway I found a vacuum operated exhaust brake between the drivers side manifold and the down pipe, It looks to be factory but I've never seen this before, So my question is how common are these and is it worth saving?

tknomaj

Reaction score
That is not an exhaust brake. It is used at cold start-up to force exhaust up into passages in intake manifold to heat it and choke to make vehicle runn better and meet emissions standards faster.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
That's what I thought at first, but all the emissions crap (EGR and heat riser were removed in the early 90's on this truck) was tied into the passenger side manifold. Unless they had internal (in the head) passages for it, but I thought those were only on the 351M.

It's actually a piece bolted to the manifold right where the exhaust system should bolt up, then the exhaust system is bolted up to it, I think I'll get out the hot wrench and remove it for examination before scrapping the truck.

The again I keep finding all sorts of fun crap with this truck, Dana 70 with 3.55 gears in a dump truck, and it's supposed to have a C6, but the housing is aluminum, so I have to look into it.

tknomaj

Reaction score
That's what I thought at first, but all the emissions crap (EGR and heat riser were removed in the early 90's on this truck) was tied into the passenger side manifold. Unless they had internal (in the head) passages for it, but I thought those were only on the 351M.

It's actually a piece bolted to the manifold right where the exhaust system should bolt up, then the exhaust system is bolted up to it, I think I'll get out the hot wrench and remove it for examination before scrapping the truck.

The again I keep finding all sorts of fun crap with this truck, Dana 70 with 3.55 gears in a dump truck, and it's supposed to have a C6, but the housing is aluminum, so I have to look into it.

Yes it has passages in the heads almost all engines have had them since the 60's back then it heated the choke stove and it still being their just means that some one was lazy and did not remove everything. and out here in Kali vehicles fail smog Inspection for having them removed or dicconnected . Most are so old the seals on the shaft leak and will also cause a smog failure and mess up o2 readings.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Huh, I learned something new then... For some reason the vacuum line for it just went to the intake manifold so when the throttle was released the engine would draw vacuum and close it, O well, bought the plow and the F350 came with it.

Grog85; for some reason I was thinking that the C6 had a cast iron housing, Thank you for pointing that out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726