Ether cause this damage?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought an idiT engine last week that was using oil pretty bad with only 130k on the clock.

I have it stripped down now, (and have good heads btw,my original reason for purchase) and I found this.

Could crack in a can cause the rings to be blown out like this? Only this one cylinder.(5).

Scarred the cylinder walls pretty bad, but I have another good block(I hope!)

You must be registered for see images attach

Click on the link and it will bring you to a video.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of IDI's with turbos that had major cylinder wear like yours and around the same miles. I'm betting that the owners ran WAY too high egt's. I've never seen just one cylinder on an engine that way. It was usually on 7 and 8.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other than a few gouges, there is very little cylinder wear. Not even a lip at the top. However, there are no rings left on that piston.

All the other cylinders are very clean with no cracking like my other idi that I know was over fueled.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've got a 180k idit engine in the shop that used 1gallon of oil to 100 miles. I'm kind of interested to pop the heads on it now to see what it looks like.

I have no clue what would have caused that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you posted there are no rings left on this piston.. How are you determining this? If you actually removed the piston and found no rings. I would suspect some bad ring material was used on the bore. If this engine has never been opened up then I suggest this was a failure from the factory. Personally I have never seen a single cylinder failure like this no matter how much crack in a can was used. If a person was to dig deep into the engineering of the idi engines they will find cylinders 7 & 8 are bored out slightly larger than the other cylinders. Reason for doing this was the CDR dumps engine oil into the intake. Eventially this oil ends up in 7 & 8 cylinders because of the engine slope to the firewall. As we all know any oil is used as fuel. Some owners actually run on 100% used engine oil. So this extra fuel causes more heat to engineers felt an overbore would allow the heat to be used better than a standard bore. The pistons were not also larger back there either. It was just about 1.5 a thousands larger bore diameter. I do not know of any machine shop that bores the back 2 cylinders like that when a rebuild is done and nothing has come to be known as a problem not following what the original engineering design was.. Another possible issue could be that piston failed because of a poor quality casting material too. It still depends if this engine was opened up and repaired before. All the oem pistons are Mahle but even that may not tell you this was a bad piston. This is a tuff call but I really don't think ether did this.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have the Pistons out. Idioit has bought the rods from me. When the Pistons came out, the bottome ring(oil ring maybe?)literally fell into pieces. The rings are still there, just not in and shape to seal the Pistons anymore. Just curios what might have caused it. I absolutely feel this engine has never been apart. The factory looking RTV on all the intake Valley pan and oil pan, and the factory grey paint on the head bolts that are external of the valve covers. That paint was completely u disturbed after I cleaned the grease off them.

I bought it this way, and just wanted the heads anyway. I hope they are usable. No cracks, but the valves are coked up pretty bad from the oil burning. We shall see!

Turned out cylinder 1,3,and 5 were all this way. Other side was surprisingly all good and tight.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some thinking about this failure. This truck was a service truck for an equipment company. It had a 6000 pound crane and air compressor ran off a PTO. I am betting it saw countless hours of idling. Could this damage be a result of the cylinders "washing down" with fuel?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726