engine wants to shut off

1986IDI6.9L

Reaction score
Ok i need help, i had parked my truck for about 1 month went to start using it again and when i went to use my front fuel tank drove about a mile and it stumbles like if it running out of fuel or maybe water in fuel. the tank has 1/2 tank of fuel in what could be the problem any suggestions welcome the truck is a 1986 f250 6.9L diesel

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout on the rear tank? If the problem only happens on the front tank, there is likely a problem with the fuel tank selector valve on the driver's frame rail. If it happens on both tanks, it could be a number of things. Low fuel pressure from a clogged filter, failing lift pump, a hole/leak in the fuel supply line somewhere, bad fuel........... and so one.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Standard operating proceedure in these cases is to replace the fuel line from the filter head to your returns with a piece of clear vinyl tubing and see if you have a lot of air coming into the pump with your fuel.

1986IDI6.9L

Reaction score
when i run on the rear tank its runs like a champ, fuel filter is only a month old, but if i had water wouldn't my water in fuel light come on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger