Engine Temp Idiot light..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you say "Check Engine" light, that's different from the "Engine Temp" light right? I'm not trying to be dense, just clarifying it for myself. I'm going to add that sensor check to the master list for sunday. Thanks.

Well gees. I do not recall so I will have to ground the sender wire and look see on my dash for lights. Terrible when you can't remember something...

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think just the picture of an engine lights up, but that would be bricknose trucks. Guess I'm also curious what indicators the '92 and up trucks utilize.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well gees. I do not recall so I will have to ground the sender wire and look see on my dash for lights. Terrible when you can't remember something...

Yeah Gary, I know how that "Can't Remember $hit" thing goes...If you don't get around to it before sunday, maybe I can tell you!LOL

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher on your list than gauges should be a replacement overflow bottle. The radiator cap vents coolant to the overflow as part of normal operation, and part of that normal operation is to draw that overflow coolant back when it's needed. As it stands, when your radiator cap vents, you lose that coolant on the street.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Higher on your list than gauges should be a replacement overflow bottle. The radiator cap vents coolant to the overflow as part of normal operation, and part of that normal operation is to draw that overflow coolant back when it's needed. As it stands, when your radiator cap vents, you lose that coolant on the street.

This is a good point. We really need the coolant recovery tank or as posted. We loose coolant to the road.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for someone to produce an aluminum version of our overflow tanks. OBS tanks can be had from LMC or ebay, but the older "box" tanks are a crap shoot. I'm contemplating filing in the warped crack in the top of mine with silicone, else I'll use the smaller go fast one that Champion sells.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if that was a pick 'n pull part or if somebody was making a replacement. I'm gonna start looking tomorrow for the tank. Maybe the newer smallish one will allow me to keep the relays where they are. That'd be nice.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light is also connected to the oil pressure gage.I disconnected mine at the sender to install a mechanical gage and that turned the light on

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running the square one.it's about 2 qts.keep the level low when cool and its fine

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify the things.

The sensor on the layout that says "Coolant Temperature Switch" that is the one that operates your temperature gauge.

The sensor on the layout that says "Engine Temperature Switch" is the one that turns ON the dash light, whether it's "Check Engine" or a "Picture of a block .

If you look close by the #1 GP , you can see the Sensor Switch that triggers the Cold HI Idle Solenoid and Cold Advance Solenoid on the IP.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    7.3 IDI sensor layout.gif
    248.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: