Engine swap questions

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 93 7.3 idi factory turbo with the zf5. A couple weeks ago my engine blew in it and I have been looking for one and finally came across a 1990 7.3 idi non turbo with the auto. So my question is if I buy It will my flywheel and factory turbo work on that engine as well as my serpentine belt setup? I've read that a factory turbo has different pistons and connecting rods and that a factory turbo flywheel will not work on an older 7.3 non turbo because it will be off balance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandy7.3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo and serpentine setup will work for sure, im in the middle of swapping all that onto my 91n/a. The flywheel I'm not sure about, have to wait for someone with more knowledge than me to chime in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I knew the belt system would transfer but I was wondering if I have to for the harmonic balancer to stay with that flywheel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo should work just fine, no need to worry about the pistons and rods.

Are you keeping the automatic trans, or are you putting the ZF5 on it?

Why would you change the flywheel?

suv7734

Reaction score
Anyone know if the flywheel will work or not?

The flywheel (or flexplate) and balancer are different on the factory turbo engine. This is a page from the Ford supplement for the turbo engine:

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The turbo will swap over to a na engine without issues. So will the serpentine belt but.. The vacuum pump off an na engine will need to be modified to fit the serpentine system. Do not change the harmonic balancer from engine to engine either. Try to maintain the flexplate of flywheel on each engine too. I'm not sure what you are using for a trans on the na engine. If it comes with a flywheel or flexplate then use that. Now if you were to change an na engine to the turbo engine internals you can balance the flywheel or flexplate to fit that upgraded engine. I made an na engine into a turbo engine with the pistons and rods. Then I had all the rotating parts balanced to work on the newer turbo parts. I did not use turbo specific flexplates or harmonic balancers. Balancing is drillings and adding weight to several locations on the crank. then matching every rod and piston in weight by grams.

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
The turbo should work just fine, no need to worry about the pistons and rods.

Are you keeping the automatic trans, or are you putting the ZF5 on it?

Why would you change the flywheel?

My truck has a zf5 but the engine I'm looking at is in a truck with an auto. I just want the engine. So I need to replace the flex plate on that engine for my flywheel in my truck

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
The turbo will swap over to a na engine without issues. So will the serpentine belt but.. The vacuum pump off an na engine will need to be modified to fit the serpentine system. Do not change the harmonic balancer from engine to engine either. Try to maintain the flexplate of flywheel on each engine too. I'm not sure what you are using for a trans on the na engine. If it comes with a flywheel or flexplate then use that. Now if you were to change an na engine to the turbo engine internals you can balance the flywheel or flexplate to fit that upgraded engine. I made an na engine into a turbo engine with the pistons and rods. Then I had all the rotating parts balanced to work on the newer turbo parts. I did not use turbo specific flexplates or harmonic balancers. Balancing is drillings and adding weight to several locations on the crank. then matching every rod and piston in weight by grams.

I pulled the engine out of my truck and want to put this other engine in but it has a flex plate from an auto I need a flywheel for mine cuz it's a manual so my question is can I take my flywheel and put it on the engine that has a flex plate? Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gonna put the ZF on the 90, use whatever you have on the 93 to put on the 90, that crank hub won't know any difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What auto flexplate do you have on the engine. If there is no flexplate then this question does not need to be answered. Some flexplates are the thin stamped plates that requires a crank spacer. Other flexplates don't need this spacer. Those are the 3 part heavy cast iron flexplates. Seems there was no rime or reason for them in trucks or vans as for years too. My 89 had this heavy cast iron flexplate. When I swapped out my trans for the BTS trans I got a thin stamped flexplate but did not receive the spacer. I did not know the spacer was needed and when I tried to tighten up my plate to the crank the bolts went thru the flange and hit the bearing chamfer. Thats rounded off the first thread making them hard to remove. It happened to 3 bolts. I chased the threads in the crank and the bolts to fit it but I sure was pissed I did not get the spacer I needed. Many times when a person removes a flexplate they do not recognise this spacer and run into issues with fit. A slight hit with a soft hammer will knock it off the end of the crank. Its about 1 1/8 inch thick and heavy so watch for it falling off.

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
What auto flexplate do you have on the engine. If there is no flexplate then this question does not need to be answered. Some flexplates are the thin stamped plates that requires a crank spacer. Other flexplates don't need this spacer. Those are the 3 part heavy cast iron flexplates. Seems there was no rime or reason for them in trucks or vans as for years too. My 89 had this heavy cast iron flexplate. When I swapped out my trans for the BTS trans I got a thin stamped flexplate but did not receive the spacer. I did not know the spacer was needed and when I tried to tighten up my plate to the crank the bolts went thru the flange and hit the bearing chamfer. Thats rounded off the first thread making them hard to remove. It happened to 3 bolts. I chased the threads in the crank and the bolts to fit it but I sure was pissed I did not get the spacer I needed. Many times when a person removes a flexplate they do not recognise this spacer and run into issues with fit. A slight hit with a soft hammer will knock it off the end of the crank. Its about 1 1/8 inch thick and heavy so watch for it falling off.

Thanks for the info. All I know is this engine I want is bolted up to an auto. What do I need to do to bolt it up to my zf5?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the engines themselves should be externally identical, so just take whatever hardware it's bolted on with now

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gonna put the ZF on the 90, use whatever you have on the 93 to put on the 90, that crank hub won't know any difference. That's what I said in post #10. Whats the problem.

Diesel Boy

Reaction score
Alright and thanks. There's no problem I was just wondering because icanfixall said there is two different flex plates and I have to watch to see if there's a spacer. Thanks everyone