Engine Swap: DOWNGRADE 7.3L idi to 6.9L idi ???

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
On average how much does it cost to resleeve a block? Asking cause I still have my dud block on a stand, debating if I should keep it or not. Crank is good, but has a broken ring and scored hole.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The little 332 Lincoln Y Block that is in the C600 now belongs in the front of a hot rod, not in a big truck.
I completely agree!
On average how much does it cost to resleeve a block?
It's been too long for me to have an idea, but I do know that it's not cheap. Your best bet is to call around to different machine shops and ask them.
debating if I should keep it or not.
My opinion is YES! If you can at all, hold on to it. A resleeve isn't cheap, but it may be a way to save another engine. Not to mention that they aren't making these engines anymore so I feel that any one that we can save, we should.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On average how much does it cost to resleeve a block? Asking cause I still have my dud block on a stand, debating if I should keep it or not. Crank is good, but has a broken ring and scored hole.

My experience has been anywhere from $80 to $120 per hole for a dry sleeve. Your mileage may vary.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My opinion is YES! If you can at all, hold on to it. A resleeve isn't cheap, but it may be a way to save another engine. Not to mention that they aren't making these engines anymore so I feel that any one that we can save, we should.
I'm not throwing away my cavitated block! I really didn't like turning in the 6.9 that had a rod hanging out of the side of it for a core when I got my turbo IDI motor. But what was o gonna do with it? I did pull everything out of it, even the good pistons and rods. Wish I'd kept the heads, but alas you do what you can..... I kept the IP and hard lines!

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never said it was a good reason, just the cards I was dealt. Just trying to turn barley into beer. :cheers: As luck would have it, I found a complete 7.3, just 10 miles from the house about 3 weeks after I got started with the junk yard short block. That engine is now sitting on a rolly cart for now, and all the extra parts from the 6.9/7.3 hermaphrodite build are getting put on the shelf until I am ready to rebuild that motor, which I am thinking may end up in my 1960 Ford C600. The little 332 Lincoln Y Block that is in the C600 now belongs in the front of a hot rod, not in a big truck. A 7.3 IDIT would be a much better fit for that application....

You must be registered for see images attach
What the hell is that white stuff all over place?? It looks like it’s falling from the sky!! Dam that looks nasty

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the hell is that white stuff all over place?? It looks like it’s falling from the sky!! Dam that looks nasty
I say the same thing when I see it in their pictures. There's a beach not far from me, Navarre beach that has white sand like that. But I don't know about the other stuff.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dihydrogen-Monoxide in a crystallin structure.

I spent the 1st 35 years of my life in Northern Wisconsin, Northern Minnesota, and North Dakota. Then I decided to take a job in South Western Missouri. I still get a kick out of Southerner's reaction to a bit of snow. But then when you are used to dealing with it for 5 months out of each year, it is no big deal.

My old house in the Red River Valley of Minnesota, March of 2018.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I spent the 1st 35 years of my life in Northern Wisconsin, Northern Minnesota, and North Dakota. Then I decided to take a job in South Western Missouri. I still get a kick out of Southerner's reaction to a bit of snow. But then when you are used to dealing with it for 5 months out of each year, it is no big deal.

@Far Right is in Australia, so he really doesn't know. I'm in NW Florida, I've seen real snow one time in Rockford IL, and it kinda snowed twice in my 41yrs in this area.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss the snow, I truly do. I spent 13 yrs as a Test Engineer for Arctic Cat chasing the white stuff all over North America, all year long. Those little ice crystals get in your blood.

I got to see parts of this continent that can only be seen via snowmobile or helicopter. (The snow there was about 20 ft. deep. Those are just the tops of the trees sticking out....)

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow do you seriously have to shovel a path to get out of your house, I can’t imagine how bad it would be to freeze ya nuts off every time it rained let alone have to shovel the stuff out of ya way

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty picture.

I like snow on a Christmas Card best.
We got 4 1/2" of the white stuff.
2am Sunday morning it started coming down, big Silver Dollar size Flakes.

Now why didn`t I fix that stupid Snow Blower when I had all that good weather? :frustrate

Goat

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if ya wake up n have a flat tire, do you have to shovel a path to get at it n then lay in it to do the job, an I suppose you conveniently have to dress like the micheilin man every time you leave the house, what you get itchy balls dressed like that??

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if ya wake up n have a flat tire, do you have to shovel a path to get at it n then lay in it to do the job, an I suppose you conveniently have to dress like the micheilin man every time you leave the house, what you get itchy balls dressed like that??
The one time I saw the snow in Rockford, it did like 6in in the night. So I figured, " hey, it's my chance to make a snow man" right? So I started rolling that stuff into a ball and was fasinated with how you could just keep rolling it bigger and bigger........ and then I realized I couldn't feel my hands. They were frozen. It's pretty until the salt truck comes and a less than 5yr old vehicle drives by that's bearly holding together. I do get tired of the heat and humidity, but I don't know about snow. My father in law says he used to bring his car battery in at night when they lived up there.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Whats nice is that you can find the area under your rig that you need to lay, then pack snow in the right spots to prop your head and shoulders up in a comfortable position for when you start fixing stuff. Besides that, you cant feel it when you bust your knuckles real bad...till they thaw ofc.

Far Right

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Viking were great warriors, they spent there entire existence heading south, says something I recon, Ive seen frost n sleet(ice rain) when in the army cause why wouldn’t they make us experience sleeping in it , too cold for me, I live near Airlie beach in North Queensland, every time I drive I see hot chicks in g bangers etc, can’t imagine too much eye candy like that in the snow. How can ya tell when ya picking up a chick if she looks like the Michelin man under that suit?? That’s some risky business right there,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86