engine shuts off??????

blownsmok4life

Reaction score
today i was drivin to a buddies house and as i was drvin at around 45 my truck jus started screamin at WOT for about a second out of no where then it dogged down and shut off. Then i made it home and it was good. i filled up the tanks and bled the lines of air. me and my dad went to a side job of his and once we hit a slope it went WOT then dogged down and shut off andd left us stranded on the bridge and we couldnt restart it. after we got it off the flatbed we cranked it and it started. i think its the fuel pump or something in the lines preventing it from keeping fuel in the fuel filter.Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a fuel starvation problem. What you percieve as WOT is actually your timing going nuts due to the lack of fuel presure. Your running out of fuel, most likely due to a problem with the tank pickup. Does it do this on both tanks, or just one?

blownsmok4life

Reaction score
i've only noticed it on the rear tank so far because iwas going up a hill and didnt notice my tank was low in the front and i switched it to the rear and i was good then on the ride home it jus started it

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try keeping one of the tanks full and just run off that tank. If it doesn't do it until the fuel level drops, you've got a bad pickup tube.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be just as posted above... Has anybody changed the fuel tak caps lately... If you are pulling a vacuum on the fuel system it will run you out of fuel and the motor dies. Do you see the fuel filter lite when you first turn on the key....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
blownsmok,

I do not believe he is talking about the Water in Fuel Light. On some of the trucks, there is a Fuel Filter Replacement Warning light.

Also, I know you are needing to get the problem fixed, however, most of the guys on here are at work, and only able to check the board during breaks and lunch. So please be patient waiting on a reply. You will get a reply......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... As posted above some trucks have a vacuum switch connected to the fuel filter head. When its drops pressure usually its pulling a vacuum on the fule system. That tells you the filter is dirty or there is a fuel line restriction happening. A bent flex hose at the oem lift pump will cause this too. As bad tank switching valve also or a bad tank pickup tube. Usually these tank fuel pickups in the tank break off and you are not able to use the last 1/4 to 3/8 tank of fuel. I had this and fixed it with a short piece of fuel line and clamp on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the front tank. My back tank still is broken like this. Can't draw out the last 1/4 tank....

blownsmok4life

Reaction score
Nope... As posted above some trucks have a vacuum switch connected to the fuel filter head. When its drops pressure usually its pulling a vacuum on the fule system. That tells you the filter is dirty or there is a fuel line restriction happening. A bent flex hose at the oem lift pump will cause this too. As bad tank switching valve also or a bad tank pickup tube. Usually these tank fuel pickups in the tank break off and you are not able to use the last 1/4 to 3/8 tank of fuel. I had this and fixed it with a short piece of fuel line and clamp on the end of the fuel pickup tube in the front tank. My back tank still is broken like this. Can't draw out the last 1/4 tank....

my front tank is like that it wont draw out all the fuel but also the thing that tells how much fuel is left in a tank is not working right in the front tank and i finally got a full tank of furl in the front and the truck has no problem and has no effects like the rear tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online