engine oil temp gauge

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got one. Sensor is in the pan passenger fwd corner of the sump about 1" above the bottom.

I see ~170 under normal operating conditions up to about 230 under high load. Oil temps come up slower than coolant when warming up and start to size before the coolant under load. Under very light load (coasting) temps will get down to about 140*
~John

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Oil Temp. sensor is in the Trans mounting flange drivers side. The temp indicated is right after the oil cooler suppling the oil galleries, who cares what the oil pan temp is, it means nothing. The oil after oil cooler is what helps cool the engine and what is supplied to the bearings. Pulling a 33 ft 5er yesterday, weight was GCW 20,690, oil temp was 190 - 200 @ 55 MPH, trans temp (4R100) was 210. This was my 99 PSD, but it's still a 7.3L, and that was running with Max AC on. Don't have a coolant sensor but the fan clutch would kick in about every 4 miles, that indicates the coolant temp reached 240.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have mine in the drivers side low in the pan. Normal temps are usually about 10 to 15 degrees higher than my coolant temps. Under load they are much higher. Sometimes up around 230 degrees but cool down quickly when off the power. We can't change the temps we see because there is no way to moderate them for the engine oil.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is passenger side low rear on the pan, below starter. Wiring was already there from the trans temp gauge and the rear of the pan was easier to access for welding the 1/8" NPT fitting required by the sender. Essentially I moved my sender from the hot line trans filter head to the engine oil pan. I see around 180 normal driving without towing anything, goes up to 190 if I accelerate hard a lot (city driving) or there are hills involved.

Oldbull, I disagree that the oil pan temp means nothing - generally speaking it will be higher than where you're measuring it, for a peace of mind I'd like to know what the hotter of the two locations reads. Plus pan oil temp is the equilibrium of all other heating cooling factors, and thus I'd think should the coolant system fail majorly (such as start dumping the coolant out, something the coolant temp gauge won't pick up on) the pan oil temp will be the first indicator something ain't right...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll be placing my sender at the pan as well.
with my infrared point and shoot tool,im getting up over 260 degrees at my pan pulling grades!
the intercooler brought things way,way up. the reason why i checked it after some grades,was because i noticed coolant temps climbing super fast under load this summer (new intercooler and large trans cooler stacked in front of rad.)
installing aux oil cooler with 200 degree t-stat currently.i guess i should get at it, with a low spell in work right now.iv got everything i need. just have to have napa make up some hoses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner