Engine Hoists

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you got's to take yer hood off!!!

Mine's a classic, '54 Towmotor with a Continental 4cyl Flathead. Runs great, but no brakes! (Parts NLA :( )

i have no e-brake! it sucks! so i usually have my son out there with me to hold my beer and chalk the back wheel.
he claims to have super human abilities, whenever he holds my beer, it evaporates! i still havnt figgured out how lol

on another note, i have pulled and installed more than 100 engines. i dont know if i could ever go back to a mechanical hoist ever again.
saved my back soooo much, i cannot even comprehend

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
i have no e-brake! it sucks! so i usually have my son out there with me to hold my beer and chalk the back wheel.
he claims to have super human abilities, whenever he holds my beer, it evaporates! i still havnt figgured out how lol

on another note, i have pulled and installed more than 100 engines. i dont know if i could ever go back to a mechanical hoist ever again.
saved my back soooo much, i cannot even comprehend

LOLLOLLOL

Yeah, I don't even have an e-brake. I just keep it on level ground and keep it slow so I can roll to a stop. If I have to brake; it's grind it to reverse and baby the clutch.

I agree though, they're a hell of a back saver and with my back I need all the help I can get.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biggest issue to me with an engine puller is the depth of the puller. It's quite the distance from he front bumper to the mid engine. I have a heavy duty like 3,000b engine puller and a 2000b puller the 3k puller does 1000lbs at max reach. It will pull a fully dressed IDI. My smaller lift doesn't have the reach even if the weight capacity was there.

Also once the idi is on the lift it will roll much harder than say a small block chevy or 4cyl hanging on a lift.

The lift from the train museum sounds like the way to go.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's going to have a hell'va time rolling any hoist on gravel, unless it has pneumatic (SP) tires. Those small wheels on most hoists get stuck on even small stones. Hope he don't turn it over.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3/4" plywood is your friend if youre working on gravel, even then, roll your truck to it! then roll it back

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, still figuring out what I am gonna do, it's a ways to the trailer I am rebuilding it in.... Not sure if a hoist will get it there.... I only have so much plywood, that's why I'm looking for a forklift or something, then I can drive it from the truck, to the trailer.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, still figuring out what I am gonna do, it's a ways to the trailer I am rebuilding it in.... Not sure if a hoist will get it there.... I only have so much plywood, that's why I'm looking for a forklift or something, then I can drive it from the truck, to the trailer.

One thing to remember about most forklifts (my Dad retired from a forklift manufacturer) a "normal" forklift:

You must be registered for see images

Is not designed to run on anything but a PAVED surface. They have a solid rubber tires that have almost no traction and will get stuck very easily. Another thing is they are DECEIVINGLY HEAVY for their size.... The above example is capable of lifting 5500lbs, however the truck empty weighs 8100lbs. So if you pick up the max load with this truck, you now weigh just under 14000lbs or 7 TONS. So with a fully dressed IDI, figure 10000lbs.... if you have to drive across anything soft, or grass... how far will you get weighing that much with slick tires..... This is just one example of lift truck, but wanted to give anyone fore warning if you call a place and rent a forklift, something like this is what they are going to deliver..... I like the show TANKED on Animal Planet, and I have watched them have this exact problem numerous times........

If you need to go "off road" to get where you are going, a lift truck like this is better suited for the job:

Not trying to scare you on this, I just don't want you in another "pickle" with an engine and forklift stuck in the yard.......

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
It's okay, I will most likely be using this! Considering I am the ONLY one who maintains it and operates it :D Has a detroit 4-53 hehe. Posted a cold start to a while ago to! She's my baby that I don't own... Wish I did!

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpp8u-3tksI

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Nahhhhh, no sprinklers in this area! The sewer is fairly deep and I will be driving where we drive already, have had a loaded dump truck with gravel here before so I'm not worried haha!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It's okay, I will most likely be using this! Considering I am the ONLY one who maintains it and operates it :D Has a detroit 4-53 hehe. Posted a cold start to a while ago to! She's my baby that I don't own... Wish I did!

You must be registered for see images attach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpp8u-3tksI

Nice little Pettibone. You should have no problems using it as your engine hoist. Well maybe one, your neighbors. Hope the appreciate the fine noise of a Detroit.:rotflmao:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the 4K/1K cheapo cherry picker, even when the engine is mounted to the transmission. I do believe they have to have a 10 or 20% excess capacity to keep themselves out of liability issues. The weight is only part of the equation, and the tipping factor is the other. Basically, you don't move the hoist to get the engine out, you move the truck. Once the truck is clear, you get the engine as low to the ground as you can go and move the hoist from there. Using a Pettibone is way overkill in my opinion, and you may not have the maneuverability or time with it at home that you would like. But by all means, do whatever you feel is safest.

As for forklifts only being made to run on pavement, this is true. BUT TELL THAT TO THE AMISH! LOL They use forklifts like you use off-road dirt bikes, and they will take them anywhere and don't care. They even drive them to the store!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my forklift is constantly being used around my yard.
i live in a damn sand pit too!
13 years ago when i purchased this house i laid about 15 tons of large base rock.
then 6 years ago i laid some medium base rock.
if im carefull, i can take it to my shop. but i wouldnt lift anything lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel; Those Amish must be "****** over" Amish as we call them around here when they can drive a vehicle. Amish around here have a chauffer (SP) to take them anyplace. :D