Engine gallop and power or lack of

9779scott

Reaction score
93 Banks turbo, new trk to me.

I bought the trk about a month ago and always thought it was short on power. I turned the pump up 2 flats and that helped alot. Today it started to galop on start up like the IP is going out. Here is where I get confused though. When I make a rolling turn about 3/4 of the way around the corner the truck comes alive and breaks the tires loose on wet road then after I straighten out all the extra power is gone. Is this because the truck is starving for fuel until you go around a corner or is it getting a shot of air in the line? It started doing this at 3/4 of a tank so I filled up and it still does it so that should eliminate a pin hole in the pick up tube. I can blow air threw the line. Also if I switch to the back tank the truck dies after about 20 seconds, but it has done this since I got it and have not had time to diagnos that. So bad; IP, lift pump, lines, pick up in the tank. I also so the previous owner scabed in rubber fuel lines to the tanks.

9779scott

Reaction score
could the rubber lines possibly be collapsing? I just dont understand all the factors put together. More then one problem?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can't really comment on why you have what feels like more power making a turn. Then as you finish the turn it drops back on power. Nothing I know will cause that...:dunno How many miles are on the injection pump and injectors. They usually last for around 125,000 to 150,000 miles...

9779scott

Reaction score
Not sure how many miles are on the IP or injectors, truck has 232,000. Its not that it feels like it has more power, on wet pavment it breaks the tires loose without me pushing any harder on the pedal. Maybe just a sudden increase in RPM like when you get an air bubble. Only thing I can think of is cornering is makeing something twist alittle and letting air in or is it getting the fuel it really wants. I am going to put a fuel pressure gauge on tomorrow and see what that shows me.

9779scott

Reaction score
I take that back there is a return line that goes to the injector that is right below it. Fuel pressure gauge shows 4 PSI. It ran thismorning an now no go. I have fuel to the IP but only very tiny dribbles coming out the occasional injector line. So guessing the IP died.

D.A.V_Oil_Brnr

M88 Junky
Reaction score
power issue

Remove your fuel sending unit and inspect it. Might be bad. When you turn, all the fuel in the tank sloshes to one side. Could raise fuel level above a damaged section of the sending unit. Seeing as you did that (by filling tank), though, maybe there is gunk in the tank causing a blockage. Try checking to see if something on the truck is loose and when you turn the pressure comes off a fuel line causing proper fuel pressure to come back.

sootman73

Reaction score
switch to the rear tank and it dies? There is fuel in the rear tank right? if not put fuel in it and see if it dies. if it doesn't then i'd say you could have a problem with the selector valve not swwitching completely and pulling air....

and fix the supply lines from the tank to the engine. Thats variables beyond belief there....

9779scott

Reaction score
yes both tanks are full, no lines are even close to being pinched. I agree that I think the selector is most likly junk, but that does not explain having more power when going through a corner. I got it to run again now as long as I have the right front injector line off the pump. Thinking cylinder pressure is comming up through the injector and putting air in the system. I have to alittle more digging yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin