Engine Crankshaft Seal Savers ?????

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could try putting a couple quarts of high mileage oil in it. I have not seen a diesel rated or oil but the regular gasoline engine oil a couple quarts or so should be fine for a thousand miles or so

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments. The old truck is working fine apart from the new (last year or so) oil leakage. Until a couple of years ago I doubt if I lost a litre (or quart) over 5,000 miles - usually half of that between oil changes was the norm. Now I get the leaks and loss - not serious yet, but losses over time.

I have also been doing a bit of searching and two products seem to come up a lot. Bars Oil Seal additive and Lucas - I have never used either so it is new to me.
I think I will try some Bars and see what happens. I can live with the leaks for now, though I obviously don't like it. I will post back after trying the product and let you know what I found - if anything.

I have been using the old F250 for winter driving and the Dodge for the rest of the year.

Thanks again for the comments.

mariner

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe you're just not driving it enough?.....

How many miles a month do you drive it?

When I first got the 88 f250 I had, the valve covers leaked pretty good until I started driving it longer distances.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the type of leakage your talking I would probably just live with it. Now if you need to do any work then I'd replace seals. I hate driving things that I have to check the oil in, but the seals are fairly involved to change.

If you have good results with any of the miracle in a bottle stuff let us know. I'm a fan of seafoam for cleaning up gas fuel systems.