Emergency injector line

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Great tip

Great tip ....

Never heard of it before but it would be long enough
to reach any injector & the IDI engines are
included in the list of applications ....

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats been listed for a long time... Would I have one under the rear seat..... I don't think so.... Scooter...:D
Now I may get one if I knew I was traveling thru some far away land where no chance of finding a replacement line for any injector. I'm not too sure this one will actualy work very well. Maybe after it builds up enough pressure to stop the flexiable line from expanding it ma work but gees.. I don't know....:D:angel:

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks like something handy to have. I would rather spend 65 on that than a couple hundred on a tow bill and stuck somewhere until a line is sourced.

Like is says, not a permenant fix, but It can get you home. Kinda like the donut spares that you see people driving on for weeks

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i would rather fold the line over with vicegrips and drive on 7 cyls till i get a line like i have before. yea she was down on some power but still ran just fine, with a miss. lol

gandalf

Reaction score
I think I'd tend to side with Gary on this one. It looks a bit shaky. Aren't all the injector lines a specific length? Doesn't that length help to insure the proper timing of fuel flow into each cylinder? None of the lines on my truck are 4 1/2 feet long, so I think that, in conjunction with the possibility of flexibility with each fuel impulse, might significantly change the timing for the cylinder involved.

Or does that matter that much?:dunno Maybe?? In an emergency, maybe it might work.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like something handy to have. I would rather spend 65 on that than a couple hundred on a tow bill and stuck somewhere until a line is sourced.

Like is says, not a permenant fix, but It can get you home. Kinda like the donut spares that you see people driving on for weeks

X2. Looks like cheap insurance, even if it only worked for an hour or two, it would get you out of a jam.
As to the donut spares, here in Memphis, on almost a weekly basis I see crappy cars running around with sometimes multiple donut spares on the car.:dunno
Funny thing is, they are always the ones I see passing me on the right on the freeway doing 80+ mph, and subsequently then seen pulling over a mile or two down the road with their spare sparking................
Some people just never learn-cuss

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Since I am on the road ....

Having spent (5) days in Rawlins, WY a couple years ago waiting on a steel line ....

I would want one - just in case

On any given day I can be a few hundred miles from any parts store

Again - thanks for the tip and I checked out their store
for IDI parts and they have some new Delphi injectors
at a very reasonable price for what I assume are BB codes

Jim

Attachments

• Barren.jpg
    Barren.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 5

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would rather fold the line over with vicegrips and drive on 7 cyls till i get a line like i have before. yea she was down on some power but still ran just fine, with a miss. lol

I was in this exact same situation, stuck on the side of the road with a broken injector line. I caught myself at the last minute, I as thinking about pinching the line off myself. But after thinking how the injection pump works, and not knowing if there was any kind of safety relief inside, I changed my mind and did not pinch the line off, all I could picture in my mind was a busted pump.

What I ended up doing was turning the line around backwards(it broke off at the pump) and re-attaching the good end to the pump, and then bending the line around till it was near #1 injector(it was the #1 line). I took the short return line off the injector cap, and slipped it up over the cutoff injector line and used the little spring clamp to hold it on. Started the engine up, and it held! All the fuel from #1 injector was going straight into the return system.

I did have to plug off the line coming from the fuel filter head, it was leaking return fuel into the dead injector. I drove all the way from Tennessee to Pensacola Florida with it like this, on 7 cylinders.

I spent one whole day in Pensacola looking for another line. Nobody had one, and if they could get it they had to order it. I went to every junkyard in that whole town, and finally the last one I went to, the guy had mercy and let me take the #1 line off a good 6.9 he had sitting there. I told him I would pay him over $80 for the line because that was what a new one costs, and he would only take $25.00 for it. It ran fine after that and it still has that line on it, without the timing adapter on it.

So if you think you can just get these lines anywhere, think again.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i had remembered back to tech school, where a 3 cyl john deere came in with a bad pump. well, we can no longer get that specific pump. so we installed a 6 cyl pump with 3 ports blocked off. motor ran great and still does to this day.

i ended up taking my line off and soldering it shut while waiting for my line to be shipped in from pa.... i was in college in ohio.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I just let them leak. Whats it hurt to run on a dead cylinder till you het home. Mpg's such and you have some spilled fuel. Then again spilled.fuel is anti-rust coating. :D

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I have bought parts from these guys and they were great to deal with!

To everyone that pointed out flaws with it- OFCOURSE IT WON'T WORK AS GOOD AS A STEEL LINE!! That's why IH put steel lines on the engine originaly!! HOWEVER!!! it will get you home for MUCH cheaper than a tow, with ALLOT less waiting!

Remember, it says EMERGENCY only not direct replacement!

PZ

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Worth while in my opinion. I carry an entire set of spare lines with me off a parts motor. They are awkward parts to carry but it beats beign stuck.