electric timing advance ?

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
so i did it i put in two toggles one for idle advance and one for timing advance

i started this thread because ive heard sometimes the advanced timing can make it runaway or have other issues?

if i listen really hard at idle i can hear a difference with the timing advance
at speed i can feel it big time what it feels like is when the advance is OFF it feels like the ebrake is dragging with it on its much more responsive !!!!

i fear that my timing is extremely retarded haze at idle, slugish, not the best starting

and as some of you know my pump is orginal with ........316k rolled to 16 today and it doesn't look to ever have been adjusted im almost afraid to touch it lol

sooo my big question is with what seems to be a very retarded pump will i damage anything running the electric advance

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Dunno...but lemme see a pic of this. I have actually wondered about this.

SWS

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
eh all i did was unplug the connectors from the idle solenoid and the connector for the timing advance.

then ran two different wires to the cab to the toggles to run each separately i need to put in relays for them because i dont like running stuff straight off switches but i did it with what i had laying around.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
where you run into trouble is if your timing is at or above about 11 it starts to eat glowplugs and in a short time. unless you know were your timing is you dont know i you are breaking this threshold. i was running 14 for a short while and the truck ran great till Mel tamed it back to 9.0.

i lost a little get up and go but i dont want to put a new set of glowplugs in every 6 months.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
ya by ear it sure doesnt seem to be to advanced no powerstroke rattle or anything

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way the pump is designed the advance solenoid is ineffective above 2k rpm,s. Or so the shop says, so if you feel a difference above that. then you likely have some worn parts.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
well it was proabaly about that 2k threashold where i felt the diffrence id say that there are probably alot of worn parts in that pump

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Then from reading all the above postings I say buy a Uhaul pump for $270.00 with free shipping and no core charge. Your pump has lived three lifetimes.. Please give it a proper retirement....:angel:

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
lol icanfixall i have another 7.3 120k motor with 1k new injectors and pump waiting to be combined with a huge turbo setup and be put in my truck so i have backup if this fails

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Just confirmed a large performance increase at 2500 rpm and up about that 2* threashold

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where you run into trouble is if your timing is at or above about 11 it starts to eat glowplugs and in a short time. unless you know were your timing is you dont know i you are breaking this threshold. i was running 14 for a short while and the truck ran great till Mel tamed it back to 9.0.

i lost a little get up and go but i dont want to put a new set of glowplugs in every 6 months.

Does anyone know whether this damage occurs throughout the operating range or just at low rpm's?

If it's just down low then I imagine that you can rig something up that it comes in automatically at higher rpms, or off automatically at low rpms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online