Electric fan conversion

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just finished up the electric fan set up today i found the i had to mount the probe higher on the rad. i had it at the bottom to begin with but found it wouldnt get hot enough down there actually it didnt get hot at all just a little warm... anyways i mounted the probe towards the top and once the temp gauge got to @ 190 i set the adjustment screw to kick the fans on... worked like a charm went for a test drive engine never got over 203 and i was being pretty ******* it the high side of the taurus didnt have to be used or did the extra 10" fan so thats a plus ;)

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
That sounds great! I'm in the process of grafting the Venture fans onto the shroud, did 2 layers of fiberglass yesterday, proby 2 more today, and I'll paint it black tomorrow. I'm going to wire both fans to work together, and a bypass switch inside. Got any pictures?
Cheers!
Dan

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
How do you identify those "53" blocks?
I think I have to look for pre 98, extended cab 8' bed for my camper. Manual or auto? What else to look for?
Thanks,
Dan

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
How do you identify those "53" blocks?
I think I have to look for pre 98, extended cab 8' bed for my camper. Manual or auto? What else to look for?
Thanks,
Dan

Look under the left front of the block---there is a small flat section with the numbers "53" cast in----- very thin walls = block pitting and coolant leaks...similar to cavitation, except the 53 blocks were just poorly casted.

repair = removal

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just came back from 5 day holiday to Somerset, PA with my '94 F350 7.3L IDI, with an 8' slide in camper and towing my motorcycle on a trailer.....Dan

You must be confused.... that was the site of LAST YEARS IDI Weekend. You wanted to vacation in Kentucky this year. LOL

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look under the left front of the block---there is a small flat section with the numbers "53" cast in----- very thin walls = block pitting and coolant leaks...similar to cavitation, except the 53 blocks were just poorly casted.

repair = removal

A buddy of mine has a 2002 Dodge that developed cracks in the cylinder walls and kicked out his freeze plugs, the thing puked his coolant all over the road, luckily it was still under factory warranty and he got a new engine, just barely thought, he had 99,000miles when it happened.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi Agnem,
You're right, although I wouldn't have made it back from Kentucky... where is it supposed to be next year?
Just finished painting the shroud with electric fans from the Venture, 3 layers of fiberglass, it feels very solidly grafted to the shroud. Got all the wiring done too, including a switch in the dash. Tomorrow: reassembly.

Cheers!
Dan

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds great! I'm in the process of grafting the Venture fans onto the shroud, did 2 layers of fiberglass yesterday, proby 2 more today, and I'll paint it black tomorrow. I'm going to wire both fans to work together, and a bypass switch inside. Got any pictures?
Cheers!
Dan

i wish i could have got some but like always my girlfriend has the camera 80 miles away from me but i will get pics as soon as i can. (although might not be for a while since her and her family are going to florida for a week)

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone tell me which of the two wires (black or white) at the A/C clutch connector is the +12V? One of the wires from the relay needs to be connected to it in order to turn on the rad fans when the A/C is on.
Thanks in advance,
Dan

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about some flex a lite fans they have some that are 6000cfm!

What does a turbo idi etc need for cfm anyways?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
something to note Car craft just did an article on electric fans vs clutchfans vs flex fans with an engine on the dyno. i am not sure i can post the info at all with copy write laws but it was interesting to see the differances in hp numbers. i dont have the copy with me now to quote but they were looking at about a 10 hp draw max. thing is at the rpms we are running the hp draw was only a couple, that 10 hp was around 5000 or so rpm.

the other big side note is that there is no standard for measuring flow with aftermarket fans so numbers are somewhat arbatrary, a better thing to look for is amperage draw.

but the big advantage i see is at low speed traffic where you could use the extra airflow for ac and such, once you get above 30mph or so you really shouldent even need much of a fan.

i will try to check my manual dank but a test light should show you which wire quickly.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi Jared,
Finished my conversion, and it seems to be working OK. Although I think my tranny oil cooler is not getting as much air through it as it did with OEM fan setup. I'll look into moving the cooler rad down to be more in front of the electric fan. I'm also installing a water temp gauge asap, to better be able to tell the exact temp.
Cheers!
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online