Electric fan conversion

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sweet Dan, so have you got a chance to to really test it pulling a 20K 5th wheel up a 15% grade yet:D

is the AC better sitting? i agree on putting a temp gage in there to to get some good numbers. i dont trust the factory gage for much more than an indicator of where you are at.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont trust the factory gage for much more than an indicator of where you are at.

I didn't know whether to trust the factory gauge on my 1985, until I installed the mechanical gauge.

Although it has no numbers, the factory gauge is very consistent, always reliably agreeing with the mechanical.

My theory on why most factory gauges are numberless is due to possible slight discrepancies in movement from one gauge to another; like snow-flakes, no two are exactly alike.

So, by leaving off the numbers, the gauge can't actually lie.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
After the tranny oil spilled over the exhaust pipe and caught on fire on mile marker 1 of I95 in Georgia, last March after being at Bike Week in Daytona, I don't think I'll attempt towing anything big again. I had a 24' enclosed trailer with 6 bikes in it... fortunately I had the foresight to take a fire extinguisher and keep it at the very back of the pickup box, within a couple of seconds' reach. Talk about a test for my 63 year old heart! That's when I realized I needed a massive tranny oil cooler on this beast.
Cheers!
Dan

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I didn't know whether to trust the factory gauge on my 1985, until I installed the mechanical gauge.

Although it has no numbers, the factory gauge is very consistent, always reliably agreeing with the mechanical.

My theory on why most factory gauges are numberless is due to possible slight discrepancies in movement from one gauge to another; like snow-flakes, no two are exactly alike.

So, by leaving off the numbers, the gauge can't actually lie.

i agree, maybe i should have been more clear. you still just dont know where you are at unless you have some numbers to compair to. hanging at the "M" or the "A" does not tell me if i am running 190 or 210 or i should start to watch it at 220 or so.

i know i might be a little more obsessive than others but i like to see exactly where i am at.

i still leave my factory gages hooked up with my aftermarket ones but now i know i am running exactly 14.5V, 600deg exhaust, 200 water, 37 psi oil...etc