eBay "Timing Adapter" made by Fox Valley???

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the diesel timing adapters on eBay? These can be had for about $90 and from what I gather, they read the ignition pulse through the glow plug ports. Need an affordable way to time a few trucks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If they read thru the glow plug post they are the luminosity probe type.. Not the pluse type method of timing. So you will need the special lumi probe if that timer does not come with one. Then you will need an adjustable timing lite. Its not cheap but once you have the tools your good for a lifetime.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
text from box:
FOX VALLEY
160 Diesel Timing Adapter

VERSATILE
-This probe fits all General Motors 4.3L 5.7L 6.2L Diesels as well as AC Delco 7G 8G and 9G Glow Plugs as well as Ford I.H. 6.9L Diesels.
-Enables diesel timing and engine speed to be measured in a way similar to that of a a spark ignition engine
-Diesel timing can be measured when used with a magnetic timing tester having an inductive spark pickup
-Diesel RPM can be measured when used with an inductive tachometer
-Pulse light which flashes every time an ignition pulse is triggered, assures user that unit is working and shows if engine is misfiring.

EASY TO USE
-Simple to hookup - compact size box with 3ft. sensor lead
-Long battery life from low powered, light triggered electronics. Stopper shuts off battery and keeps dirt out of photo sensor.
-The same wrench used to remove glow plug will install luminosity probe.
-Quick reference instructions on label and step by step instructions in the manual.

DURABLE
-Stainless steel probe withstands the harsh combustion chamber environment.
-Neoprene/copper leads for resistance to heat , cold, solvents and abrasion.
-Rugged ABS box can survive knocks.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what it says, so I don't have any idea. I have an Actron Timing light....it's the $40 version. I don't know if it ones with the probe but by the pictures and the way it reads I would say it does. I'll email them. BUT is this an accurate and acceptable way to time these trucks?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Acurate... Well that depends on the user. When your shooting the lite at the timing tab its all depending on your abgle of shot. Remember your trying to get the lite directly over the mark at a 90 degree angle. Then the guess work about how close you really are to the line. Then the cetane should be known for the fuel your burning to get it correct. Then when you drive to differant areas of the country whats the cetane of that fuel. I guess you could check it. So I prefer the kent moore meter because all this is taken into account by the computer. Connect 2 probes. Fire engine up. Rev to 2000 rpm and watch meter.. Job done for you. Make an adjustment if needed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
STOP< DONT DO IT! a bunch of guys bought those things the first time around when the guy was trying to unload them and so far as I know, nobody ever figured out how to make teh darn things work correctly. There is something missing that these things need to work along with., and I dont think anyone ever figured it out.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They work, but adjustable timming lights only work for before top dead firing events (advance) and not for after top dead firing events. This is why the magnetic pickup hole is off 20 degrees.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
STOP< DONT DO IT! a bunch of guys bought those things the first time around when the guy was trying to unload them and so far as I know, nobody ever figured out how to make teh darn things work correctly. There is something missing that these things need to work along with., and I dont think anyone ever figured it out.

Could it be the part in the instructions that say....any magnetic timing meter that has inductive spark pickup and the appropriate notch offset to time diesel engines?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesel timing can be measured when used with a magnetic timing tester having an inductive spark pickup
-Diesel RPM can be measured when used with an inductive tachometer
Now there is the problem that the FOX won't work by itself. When it says inductive pick up, you have to have the pickup that fits in the tube on the timing plate by the damper pulley. An inductive pickup is like your tack sensor, it operates on the Hall Effect, The groove on the damper pulley has to be clean, every time the groove passes the pickup it generates an electrical pulse, hence you have to have a magnetic timing tester to flash the strobe on timing gun. then the timing has to be set 20 degrees ATDC. The pickup has to be positioned as close to the damper as possible, about the thickness of a piece of paper.
Buy it, but with the equipment you have it won't work. Ya have to have a timing gun that costs upwards of $100.
Below is an Actron gun, cost is $100. Pretty accurate at 2000 RPM.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31743&d=1284872546

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31742&d=1284872546

Last edited:

larryo

Reaction score
Hi folks new here with my first post on this old thread. Bought a fox valley 160. I read somewhere that the magnetic probe is just for reading rpm with a meter. And all that is needed actually is a timing light with advance and tach function. Thus eliminating the need for the mag probe. Since a meter also is eliminated with the use of timing light with advance, dial in the offset until you see 4 degrees atdc. I think 1/16 of an inch = 1degree. But need to further verify this info and or with a video. Or one can provide facts based on experience with the fox valley 160 .note: I cannot afford the ferret setup, and thanks in advance of all info provided for my 93 7.3idi f250. Larro.

Last edited:

larryo

Reaction score
larryo here again. anymore info on how to properly use the fox valley 160. have this one and don't need info on the ferret set up. just need to verify the info from my last reply ,thanks.anyone?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
larryo here again. anymore info on how to properly use the fox valley 160. have this one and don't need info on the ferret set up. just need to verify the info from my last reply ,thanks.anyone?

Hi and welcome to the forum, most likely won't be much help but I"ve got an idea to maybe assist you.

advanced search

TECH 101 in search field, choose thread title
riotwarrior in username field

look for thread about timing tape.

You will see that you can time BEFORE or AFTER TDC with just a non adjustable timing light if you have to just with that thread.

So long as the timing light has a reading and provides a pulse you can determine where that pulse is in relation to 0 degree mark on the timing tab.

With this info you should be able to get your setup to function.

This is simply why we suggest the pulse method as it registers BTDC and IIRC that adapter though more expensive works well with adjustable lights.

My method described has been confirmed by me with use of my Kent Moore J33300 meter and a normal timing light and also an adjustable light as well.

If I had a lumi probe setup I'd do some testing and see if I can find out a method that works and do a tech 101 on it