Ebay Buyer Beware

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
From your pics, it looks like the timing gear cover gasket (ie:RTV) has let go of its seal.

If your truck is running a RDT make sure it's over 1" in diameter. Anything less will usually lead to excessive crankcase pressure, and will pressurize seals. (leaks)

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please please please leave that oil 'leak' alone. Notice the road grime and all the nasty crap around the timing cover, ya thats not fresh stuff coming out, so dont worry about it. As every responsible motorized vehicle owner should do, check the oil no less then once a week, and you will be ok.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice, guys. Thanks so much. My main concern since I bought the truck is making sure that I am not overlooking something that would cause more damage until found. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it myself (yet, as I haven't had any much trouble with mine)

You cut the nipple off that makes you push down on the shifter.

The other is drilling/tapping and adding some grease zerts. (Which makes it easier to push down to hit low range, but could be added at the bushing to keep it moving nicely)

That's what I remember though. May not be 100% correct.

I would not recommend getting rid of the gate on the shifter that makes you push the lever over on the transfer case. My lever pivot had rusted and stuck so I didn't have to push the lever over, it stayed over by itself. Nothing to worry about I thought, till it started popping out of low range. I took the shifter out and got it all loosened up so the shifter gate worked again, and now it does not pop out of low range.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend getting rid of the gate on the shifter that makes you push the lever over on the transfer case. My lever pivot had rusted and stuck so I didn't have to push the lever over, it stayed over by itself. Nothing to worry about I thought, till it started popping out of low range. I took the shifter out and got it all loosened up so the shifter gate worked again, and now it does not pop out of low range.

Yeah, definitely not messin' with that. I did remove the linkage and clean everything up though. It shifts smooth, but since I bought the truck it shifts right past 4 High.

SuperColonel1

SuperColonel1
Reaction score
I bought my truck on ebay, '93 F350 cc. Truck is very clean and solid, my problem is getting the title! Guy kept saying it's on the way and never will send it. EBay said the buy is over 60 days so I have to deal with it. The fact that I only have $1800 in the deal with shipping makes it worth it, if I can locate a cc cab for a title. EBay is good on finding deals, but their policy as far as time laspse sucks!

SuperColonel1

SuperColonel1
Reaction score
You guys are makling me feel better and better about buying my truck, even with the title issue. It is a crew cab longbed with NO rust. 2 wheel drive single axle, but it is clean!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do with a junk crewcab title? It won't match the tag on the dash of your truck. Swapping tags is totally illegal. You don't even know, the truck you bought on ebay may be hot. Or some guy in a divorce is looking for his truck that his wife sold without the title. Or a bank is looking for it, they have a lean on it and whoever had it sold it without the title and skipped town leaving the bank holding the bag and looking for the truck. There are so many things that can go wrong getting a vehicle without a good title, don't ask me how I know.

The truck you have now without a title needs to be researched if you ever want to do anything with it besides part it out. You may lose it, but you can go to the state were you bought it, and the DMV can research the title and see who owns it. They can send a registered letter to them, and they have so many days to respond back. If they never respond, sometimes they will then assign the truck to you(with all the fees of course).

Another way that helps everything go smoother is if you have a buddy that has a garage as his business. He can go and put a mechanics lean on the vehicle. The DMV goes through the same process and if the guy with the title refuses to pay the "repair fees" that are needed, the DMV will assign the title to him so he can sell it and recoup his money.

There may be several other ways to do it, but swapping metal tags is not one of them I would recommend.

SuperColonel1

SuperColonel1
Reaction score
I had the truck picked up at a garage where the guy had the truck being repaired, believe it or not the guy is a New Orleans police! The cab had all kinds of paperwork in it (bills, police documentation, and business cards with the guy's name and address on it. I was in fact thinking of using the EBay receipt for the truck and emails between the guy and myself as proof of the purchase, then thought since I want to make it 4x4 I could buy a junket 4x4 cab and chassis using that with the cab from the guy on it. The trunk is really solid! In Ohio they inspect the cab transfer and issue u new VIN tags and title. My brother used a truck he had once in a similar siyuayion and never had any problems.

SuperColonel1

SuperColonel1
Reaction score
My brother fabricated the tag from the dash that he had a title for into his truck because he was never selling the truck. He never sold it, he drove it and drove it until he got another one later that he switched his 390 in. This truck is a 93, would be just as cool as a 89 with a 93 front clip on. Shipping for a large piece of dash couldn't cost that much. You know what they say, where there's a will there's a way! Lol

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the truck picked up at a garage where the guy had the truck being repaired, believe it or not the guy is a New Orleans police! The cab had all kinds of paperwork in it (bills, police documentation, and business cards with the guy's name and address on it. I was in fact thinking of using the EBay receipt for the truck and emails between the guy and myself as proof of the purchase, then thought since I want to make it 4x4 I could buy a junket 4x4 cab and chassis using that with the cab from the guy on it. The trunk is really solid! In Ohio they inspect the cab transfer and issue u new VIN tags and title. My brother used a truck he had once in a similar siyuayion and never had any problems.

Yes I have seen people do that also. If you have enough proof that you bought both trucks legitmately, and both titles are clear, and you are joining two trucks together to make one, they issue a new generated title and VIN. It looks a little messy though when you want to sell it later on.

SuperColonel1

SuperColonel1
Reaction score
I have no intentions of ever selling this truck, in my head this is my last project of this magnatude. When this truck no longer belongs to me it will be scrap. I'm looking around this area now for a 4x4 frame for it that hopefully has a title, but with the combination of parts a build title can be had. I found all my EBay papers for the truck last night so proving a legitimate purchase should show from that.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better I paid $7200 for mine and have put another $3k into it and still not done. It is on a rebuilt title and was half assed back together by someone. Crew cab, 4wd, ZF5's are hard to come buy and when I found one I snatched it even though I paid way too much. It'll be worth it when I'm done but I'll never get my money back. It's ok though I have no plans to ever sell it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubburnjd1

Members online