Ebay Buyer Beware

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I use to live there a few years ago. Now I wanna see pictures of the truck see if I know it or not.[/QUOTE

Here's the craigslist ad... The link still worked when I checked. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4033068075.html
He kept the hitch (I got the receiver), I let him keep the CB antennas. Soon it will have the smoked tail / signals replaced with stock, new A/T tires instead of Mudders, maybe a new grill, a new hitch.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is not so bad, and I dont know that truck or the guy who owned it before. Not a bad buy at all.
Oh boy, I'm not so sure anymore... The more I dig, the more I find broken and/or Jerry rigged.... My fault really. Not an experienced car buyer. I checked out what I knew to look for, but missed a lot. 4x4 doesn't engage, A/C and heat only blows out defrost so I got a vac leak. rear cab light was leaking so I ripped out the carpet and liner to dry/clean everything out after silicone sealing the light, has a bad U joint, bad tie rod end, and the engine compartment is covered in oil and I am having a hell of a time figuring out where it came from, etc, etc, etc,.... Ugh, just trying to get the GD thing inspected and in shape so I can start using it!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's a project!!! I don't know what it is, if it's the diesel or cause it's a Big *** Truck, but I am in love with this thing. The only thing bothering me about doing the work on it is my bank statement... I was hooked on this thing on the drive home from MD after buying it. Love this truck.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil could be coming from the high pressure supply lines, they usually leak a fine amount of oil, but will tend to soak everything in the engine bay, just power wash it all off and run her and watch to see where it may be coming from, could be from a failure the PO may have 'fixed' A few other things can leak though, the good news is the high pressure oil system will run out of oil the supply the motor before bottom end damage can occur, if your motor oil level ever got low enough for that to happen.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the input. I started cleaning things up, just didn't get real far in there. PO said it was the blow by coming from the CDR. he ran the hose straight down through to the bottom of the engine so we'll see it that had anything to do with it. I soaked the CDR in diesel overnight to try to clean it out a little in case the spring or diaphragm was sticking.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tbird was talking about the high pressure oil feed lines to the injectors on a Powerstroke.
I can tell by the part of it shutting down before damage happens, when too low on oil.

You won't have those....

It's most likely a combo of that rdt and leaky valve cover gaskets.
Actually the oil could be old. The intake hat for the turbo will leak and spray a oil mist everywhere. (When it's still hooked up)
I would put the CDR back to a factory setup.

Is the crud centralized anywhere?
Power steering fluid can leak onto the belt and get thrown around.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbird was talking about the high pressure oil feed lines to the injectors on a Powerstroke.
I can tell by the part of it shutting down before damage happens, when too low on oil.

You won't have those....

It's most likely a combo of that rdt and leaky valve cover gaskets.
Actually the oil could be old. The intake hat for the turbo will leak and spray a oil mist everywhere. (When it's still hooked up)
I would put the CDR back to a factory setup.

Is the crud centralized anywhere?
Power steering fluid can leak onto the belt and get thrown around.

Okay, a couple things... Don't know what "rdt" stands for. Are you saying the intake hat should be disconnected? I don't actually know where the hose for the CDR is supposed to go.

As far as crud... I am seeing it on the hood starting halfway towards the windshield and spread about 2' across-that is more fresh. Also, I am seeing some really old oil that appears to be coming from the valve cover on the passenger side, and there is relatively fresh looking oil on just about everything from the front of the block back. There is enough coming out that is running down the oil filter, the oil pan, the front of the transmission...

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused also, I think it may be an idit, witch in that case, everything I said was and is wrong.

Sorry about that, I haven't been posting engine details since I put my sig up... It's an IDIT. Sorry about the confusion on that. I should have posted it.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to clean it up yet to do a proper inspection on the oil leaks. After I get it all wiped down, I will start a thread in the IDI forum to try to track it down, but I'd be happy to explore whatever initial ideas you have until then. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online