Ebay Buyer Beware

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Rdt=road draft tube. Which is essentially what you have.

The oil on the hood tells me it's getting on your belt.
A leaky front crank seal could cause that. Improperly sealed water pump bolts could. Could be power steering.
Getcha some UV dye. May help track down the source.

The CDR should go from a valve cover or the front timing cover where the 3 small pump gear bolts are, to the intake somewhere pre turbo-post filter.
The banks w/g turbo, it's on the cast aluminum elbow right before the turbo.

Could you get pics?
May help us help you.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rdt=road draft tube. Which is essentially what you have.

The oil on the hood tells me it's getting on your belt.
A leaky front crank seal could cause that. Improperly sealed water pump bolts could. Could be power steering.
Getcha some UV dye. May help track down the source.

The CDR should go from a valve cover or the front timing cover where the 3 small pump gear bolts are, to the intake somewhere pre turbo-post filter.
The banks w/g turbo, it's on the cast aluminum elbow right before the turbo.

Could you get pics?
May help us help you.

RDT-Gotcha.
As far as the CDR hose-that would probably make sense. He already had it disconnected because he had a Spectre air filter on a flex pipe. He said the blow by was causing the oil spray everywhere-I think he just had the hose laying in the engine compartment.

I'll get some pics...

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tells me it was a intake leak, post turbo.
Okay. I'll look into that ASAP. 79, I really appreciate you helping me troubleshoot such a broad problem. I am trying to get the 4x4 working and I have to replace ball joints, tie rod, u joints to get this thing inspected so I can get it on the road. All this has to happen after girls go to bed so it has been so slow! I want to figure out the oil leak so I dont screw something up after I get it road worthy.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take pics tonight. Got linkage bushing I needed to reassemble the shift linkage for the 4x4.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didn't already put it back together, there's some mods that can be done to the shifter to improve operation.

Nope. Not yet. I picked up the plastic bushing today. I was going to clean it up, lube it, and put it back on tonight. Whaddya got?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I haven't done it myself (yet, as I haven't had any much trouble with mine)

You cut the nipple off that makes you push down on the shifter.

The other is drilling/tapping and adding some grease zerts. (Which makes it easier to push down to hit low range, but could be added at the bushing to keep it moving nicely)

That's what I remember though. May not be 100% correct.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post some pics!
Sorry!!! I didn't get to it last night. I will be working tonight after I put the girls to bed. I will snap pics of the engine compartment tonight. In the meantime, these are pics of the 4x4 shift linkage... Check out the dirt/dust that was underneath the lower boot. The pics don't show the spoonful I dumped out.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/zj6-b9k6--_s69XKk5ee72j3CSbP5fa6uodV2lcTPPw=w276-h207-p-no
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-.../b_IuUltkKSI/w926-h695-no/20131022_230558.jpg

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the oil. I haven't had the time to clean everything up. The oil in pics is pretty fresh. There is oil in the valley and down along the valve cover on passenger side and running underneath, but a lot of that is old so I want to clean it off so it is not misleading.
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
[/URL]

I wiped my kids' initials into the hood to see if it got covered up with new oil... So far none, but I have only driven the truck 30-40 miles since I bought it. Hope these help. Thanks for your input.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, the PO said the oil spray in the engine compartment was from the CDR hose which he had disconnected and laying in the engine compartment. I think he was probably right about that.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2 pictures of the oil stains, they are nothing to mess with imo. Going by the Ford factory standard, if an oil leak is slow enough to accumulate road grime, don't fix it. You could clean those off with some brake clean, and they probably won't come back.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured the oil on top of the engine and the hood won't come back. We'll see about the ones down below the valve covers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US