EASY fuel tank filler

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I have to say, I am VERY happy with the mild filler mod I did to my truck today. After reading through other articles where an external hose had to be added to the tanks, I went searching for another route that didn't bypass the roll over valve.

Looking at the filler neck with the caps off, I noticed a small slot as big as a nickel in the bottom. Just below where the cap would screw in. I had a hunch that might be the factory vent. Going on that, I used a flathead screwdriver and hammer to widen it. I would say it is about as big as a sharpie marker now.

Went to fuel up and I was very pleased with the results! I was actually able to click the filler on the first mark and not have to hold onto the damn thing. Filled both tanks in under five minutes! No more standing there for a half hour getting funny looks from the station attendant. :hail:hail:hail

Thought I would share this and hopefully others that don't want to wrestle with their tanks or don't mind not using the big rig nozzles could have quick fills too!

Cheers,
Dave

Edit: I can try and get some pics if anyone is interested, just to give some visual idea of what was done.

Saber6

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea! A faster easier fill would be great! Get some pics up if you get a chance..

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yes I would be interested in pictures as well as filling my ONE and ONLY tank at that moment is gettting to be a pain in the rear tank....

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Alright, I'll get some pics in the morning for you guys. Now just fair warning, it isn't quite enough of a vent to run the pump nozzle full blast (I tried). But, it is enough to at least get the nozzles at the pump to fill on their own without having to baby the thing.

-Dave

zacky6661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I would be interested in pictures as well as filling my ONE and ONLY tank at that moment is gettting to be a pain in the rear tank....

i work at a full serve station (well i live in oregon so self serve is illegal with the exception of diesel by customer preferance) and all the 91 and up f-series diesels, the rear tank is always giving EVERYONE a problem filling up, and they or i usually wind up standing there babying in the fuel. if this is the for sure issue, ill be sure to pass it along to help people out ;Sweet

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the tank vent mod (I did the full mod on mine), I can use the high-volume truck pumps at a station less than a mile from where i work that do 16 gallons in a minute tops ;Sweet

Although, I have found that I can't put the nozzle all the way in, or it will still click and shut off, and this is true for ANY diesel pump, high volume or not. However if I put it about halfway in I can pretty much "set it and forget it" until it's full.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I love the tank vent mod (I did the full mod on mine), I can use the high-volume truck pumps at a station less than a mile from where i work that do 16 gallons in a minute tops ;Sweet

Although, I have found that I can't put the nozzle all the way in, or it will still click and shut off, and this is true for ANY diesel pump, high volume or not. However if I put it about halfway in I can pretty much "set it and forget it" until it's full.

So true - I have found in many cases that if I play with the nozzle (sometimes putting it in upside down) I can fill pretty well with out kicking off the nozle.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a look see...maybe I'll give it a try.
My issue seems to be the back-up of foam ;Really

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Alright, had a chance to get photos after charging the camera batteries -cuss

Since I didn't take any photos before the mod, I used the tank filler off of my Dad's 1996 F250 powerstroke. I think the slot might be a little wider on his, see for yourself:

You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the modified vent on my 1991 F250:

For once, a hammer and screwdriver actually ARE the answer! ;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
The rear tank was always the worst one to fill for me too...but this little mod seemed to keep the foam down enough with the nozzle in just a ways like ghunt described.

Hope it works for ya ;Sweet

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online