E4od to zf5 swip swap time

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can't handle this auto nomores. First to second is gettin very slammy, and after the wirin nightmare last winter I feel the need to take the plunge and just get it in and done...Even though it seems I can "recharge" the tranny, making it shift better, by abusing it hooked to a stuck tractor or 15 tons of corn in a wagon, the "recharge" state is fleeting...and starting to work less and less. I've driven this thing for 15 years and have never been happy with the way it shifts, or doesn't.

I've a parts truck with a good shifting auto, but I'm thinkin if I'm only counting on a few good years from an unknown tranny, only to be putting the standard in later, time and labor to install...ill just do it and get it done.

I looked through the tech articles twice, but did not see a write up, wondering if I overlooked it or there's something buried in another thread? I've a few donors, complete, so I'm thinking its proly self explanatory, I just don't want to start and overlook something. Am I correct in thinking a majority of the tranny wiring can get stretched out and incinerated along with this tranny carcass, or will there be some in need of saving? Any wear parts I should be concerned with? Tranz mounts, throw out proly get swapped. Advisable to do clutch now?...flywheel? Like to have everything I need on a bench before I park truck for a week.

Thanks for any suggestions
Jon

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 or 4wd?

It is an easy swap so long as you have donor complete....really just remove amd replace parts correspondingly.

Now would be good time add firewall reinforcement kit since your damn near there anyway too btw.

Clutch cant offer much there are plenty here whom can add 2cw

What is funny is I am desparetly trying to get my e4od trucks harness worked out asap as I am getting realy tired of stick in the city...

JM7.3CW Eh!

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah jeez I thought that firewall garbage ended with the bricknose

All 4x4. I'm a farmer

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Count on a new clutch and flywheel conversion kit. The factory trucks had a dual mass flywheel setup, which is two flywheels in one, with springs and clutch packs connecting them together. This was to lessen the grinding noise that comes from the diesel hitting so hard each time it fires, rattling the gears in the zf.

The DMF's wear out, just like the clutches do. They have solid conversion flywheel kits to get rid of the DMF, or if you look hard enough and have the money, you can replace the DMF. Just be aware depending on how smooth your engine idles, you may get some noise from the tranny after the conversion install.

I did a c6 to zf swap, never did a e4OD to zf swap. For the wiring, I had a donor also, and found there is a plug underneath the brake booster that goes to the transmission and transfer case. I just unplugged the c6 harness there and took it out, and plugged in the zf harness from the donor into the same plug under the booster. It was plug and play, everything plugged in and worked fine.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm remembering the dmf. I'll get reading on them. I don't mind dumping some cash into this thing...haven't made any payments on it in months so I guess I'm due

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I KNOW it didnt

It ended w the 92 up cab....sorry fellas

Thanks. I'll compare em both in the morning, but yes, now would be the time for addressing such. Flashbacks to my poor bullnose...actually I think I may have saved that plate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin