E4od to 5 spd swap

haubert

Reaction score
I was at the scrap yard today looking for a 5 spd tranny looking to convert from my e4od. All I could find were older 4 spd what do you think of the 4 spd or should I hold out. I use the truck for heavy pulling are the final gears the same ratio

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your e4od has overdrive. 4 speeds do not. They are direct drive 1:1 final ratio.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The older T19 transmissions hold up fine but as mentioned, you will lose overdrive. I'd hazard the 4 speed stick is actually stronger than the ZF5 from what I've read. It also doesn't have the dual mass flywheel to worry about down the line.

haubert

Reaction score
Anyone know if the 5th gear is 1:1 also thanks now will the newer 6 spd bolt right up. Just trying to figure out if I'm going to need a gear vendor unit for the highway running when I switch over to manual thanks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
In a ZF-5 5th is an overdrive, 0.73 I believe, just like the E4OD. The ZF-6 will bolt up, however, it is not just a simple bolt up and go. There was one member at one point in time that did the work, but said it was not worth it. 6th is the same as 5th in a ZF-5, all you gain is one more in between gear. He said if he had it to do again, he would go with a ZF-5.

haubert

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I appreciate All the forums advice. Can't afford to learn by, my own mistakes LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.