E4OD SHIFTING

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oookay, here's an update on the whole situation:

1) I first did SigEpBlue's mod with the 100-ohm resistor jumped between the main power supply and the low pressure EPC solenoid wire (white/yellow) - resistor was installed last night, today I didn't notice no changes in transmission behavior whatsoever. So tonight after work I decided to measure the voltages at the wires with the truck idling in gear (truck driven against a tall curb with a big stone wall just a few inches away from the bumper) - as expected the red wire had 13.xx volts (batter voltage), however the white/yellow only had 9V at it. Aight, now let's try without the jumper - shut truck off, pull resistor, restart truck, and sure enough white/yellow wire now reads 8.3 to 8.5V - so the jumper not only didn't lower the voltage, but like Mr. Roboto suggested it actually increased it, by 0.5V to be exact. Which if anything would result in a slightly softer (and slower) shift - not what I want.

2) Time for Marq's mod - pull SigEpBlue's jumper completely, cut white/yellow wire, attach bullet connectors to both loose ends (so I can plug it back together and go back to a stock circuit), then attach bullet connectors to the spare 100-ohm resistor I had (Radio Shack sells them in packs of two), and finally plug the new resistor between the two ends of the white/yellow wire. Take truck out for a drive - wow, what a huge difference, clutch engagement is very fast, shifts are not neck-snapping but still very firm, maybe a bit firmer than I'd like them to be. So tomorrow I'm gonna go to the Radio Shack again and grab a pair of 50-ohm resistors, and set one of them up as a replacement for the 100-ohm unit I got now - that should soften the shifts a bit, but still be far from stock. One thing I noticed tho, transmission seems to run hot, not like I ever touched the pan before really. Shouldn't be much of an issue, I got two coolers up front, plumbed in series - I know for a stacked-plate coolers tis good to plumb them in parallel, but those are snake-tubes so to the transmission fluid they ain't nothing more than a looong transmission line.

Jumper and consequently inline resistor were installed in the harness halfway between the driver-side frame rail and the transmission, as in that spot the wires are very easily accessible. Once I decide which resistor I wanna use the connections will get coated with dielectric grease, and then nicely taped up and covered with corrugated wire loom.

Questions, suggestions, concerns?

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool!! Ya, I was pretty impressed by the difference. I still have the viarable resister on mine. I get more $$ on Thursday, and I will get the permenant set up than. I am going to mount the viariable adjust in the dash, next to my converter lock up switch.

Next, I will add a trans-cooler, change the filter, and go with synthetic juice also.

Marq

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MARQ2277,
What is the part # for the variable resister you used? Where did you get it?

Jim

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it at Radio Shack. It is a 3 watt, 25 ohm reostate. But it is too small and gets hot. I have it glued to a big heat sink until I can get one that is rated at about 25 watts.

Here, I usually get my eletrical parts through this company (oh, and in case it matters, I was an electrical engineer).

Mouser Electronics:
www.mouser.com
1-800-346-6873

The part I will get is #588-RHS-10E
This part is actually a 25 watt, 10ohm veriable. I believe the 10 ohm is what is needed, but the wattage has to be 25 watts, as the solenoid is a low impedance, and draws some juice.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Marq
Stage One Injectors (Oregon Injector Service):
Complete Return Fuel Kit (Oregon Injector Service):
DB2 Pump, cranked up with Cold Advance wired permanently on:
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no fuff on my stuff):
Torque Converter Lock Up Switch (On/Off/Lock-Up):
E4OD Line Pressure Controller (adjusted to fast/firm shifts):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:
Big Fat Tires on custom rims:

Tows 1985 fully loaded heavy 28 foot RV (my house) everywhere:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 50-ohm-10-watt resistor in there now, softened the shifts a bit compared to the 100-ohm beast, but tis still light years away from the stock shift. I like this one a lot, but just for trial I'm gonna get a 10-ohm-10-watt resistor as well, and see how it works. The 10-watt resistors don't get hot, at least I didn't feel any abnormal heat.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh, my 3 watt, I could make french toast on it (without a heat sink), but I was being in a hurry; Let me know if you try the 10 ohm, 'cause I am kinda broke right this minute, and it may be a minute more before I can switch it out.

Marq
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When are you going to change it?? I have to wait (which is just pretty bad, being that the part I want is not that much $$) to buy it. I am still waiting on my freebe check from the Gov., so I can blow it on my truck wish list!! lol

Marq
4” down pipe, 4” straight through exhaust stopping between cab and bed (no **** on my stuff):
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marq, I just bought the 10-ohm 10-watt resistor, I'm gonna crimp the bullets on and tape it up and pop it in tonight after work. I'll report how it works tomorrow around, as Tuesdays I got the evening shift.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet!!! Now I am going to pace the floor 'till I heara from you!! lol

Marq
4” lift w/Rancho shocks:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-ohm resistor is in, finishing up the trailer harness tomorrow morning then taking it out for a drive to the hardware store or Radio Shack for more bullet connectors - the ones on my glow plugs harness are in very poor shape, and my glow plugs don't glow quite well no more - last time I wiggled the harness it was all good for a while, so I hope tis still that and no the plugs themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk