E4OD rebuild

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a comprehensive list of must do's for a rebuild, I've made some notes along the way but just wondering if anyone has made a list, like billet TC, 6 pinion planetary, shift kit, front pump mod's, electrical fixes, ect.
Backstory is OG trans was rebuilt by PO (company truck) around 80 k, soon after pump seal leak and another rebuild, supposedly new,latest case and some internals, 2 aux. coolers and bypassed radiator.
We drive it 10k after new IP,injectors,(got it non-running) and runs great, except for erratic shifting, replaced TPS and electric issues still, light/stop light circuit? No OD light flashing.
Anyhow fluid has gotten darker, and new front pump leak, (blew out several quarts) so must come out, want to do it right, either do ourselves or hire it done, want to know what to ask for/get to make it right,
just need a good stock rebuild with the right parts, tricks. Going in truck in sig.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No shift kit , that’s boo boo , get the valve train done is the correct way if you want a harder/firm shift , billet TC yes , planetary upgrade yes , could vids on YouTube if your going to do it yourself

Shop is going charge you to 4500 to build it ,

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes first thing we got was a Tugger shift kit,and some sunex pump fix's,from info gathered here, just looking for a to do list, like minimums must do,be a good sticky.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've installed several of the Tugger kits and I love them. Nice firm shift without making it harsh. Another upgrade I do is the Alto Powerpack kit on the intermediate clutch.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had mine done and researching it was about $1200 in parts s I recall. I got it done for $1700.
You can find them rebuilt for $1900 on line inc. shipping.
So for a few bucks more it gets done with a warranty by someone else.
PS. Your erratic shifting was the range selector switch, Not the TPS.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a Tugger. Very happy.

And triple disk billet TC. I fried a single disc.

Metal drain back valve in pump. Plastic can melt.

LEDs from the solenoids to ground. When the solenoid is not energized the LED will be on, which both gives it's status and is a continuity check of the coil. When energized the LED will be off.

When the trans is not shifting properly, knowing what the controller is trying to get it to do is a big help.

Last edited:

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're reasonably competent with tools and measuring in the thousandths of an inch you should be able to manage the rebuild in a home garage. I did mine in my garage 6 years and 80,000 ago and it's still running great with no leaks.

ASTG has a rebuild manual and an update manual available for the E4OD that are second to none. The update manual is available for download several places on the interwebs but you may have to buy the rebuild manual. Look through them before you start and make sure you have or can build or have access to the special tools you'll need. Most can be made at home with a drill press but a lathe is helpful.

Sonnex and transgo both have a whole series of upgrade "fixes" for these transmissions. Generally it is best if you pick one company or the other and use the kits you need. Mixing and matching "fixes" from the different companies can cause trouble once it's all back together because each company choose to solve problems with different methods and if you overlap parts you'll be creating headaches for yourself. Don't just throw everything that company has at it either, not everything is a solution for your problems.

I chose precision industries for my converter, they are highly recommended and mine has given me no troubles.

ASTG update manual is here, go to the astg webpage to find out the name of the full rebuild manual and see if it's available for download too.

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/E4OD_UPDATE.pdf

ASTG is the best resource but these two also have good information in them.

Attachments

• Transgo E4od upgrade manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • E4OD High Performance Rebuild.doc
    644 KB · Views: 19

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chose precision industries for my converter, they are highly recommended and mine has given me no troubles.

ASTG update manual is here, go to the astg webpage to find out the name of the full rebuild manual and see if it's available for download too.

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/E4OD_UPDATE.pdf

ASTG is the best resource but these two also have good information in them.

I had a Precision converter. In less than a year it started to knock when it engaged.

I used the ASTG repair and update manuals and the Tugger manual. By-the-book, I spent three days on the trans and two days on the valve body. If I had immediately started a second, that one would have probably taken a day to complete.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Precision converter. In less than a year it started to knock when it engaged.

Did they give you good service on the warranty? They have 5yr unconditional warranty and two year free "re-stall" option.

I read through that build thread, man that's complete and fantastic info. I got tipped off early on to convert to the hardened sun_shell as I had wear on the one I took out. since his was a late version, he didn't have to update to the later center support which is also highly recommended and well covered in the ASTG update book. Otherwise he covered everything I remember going through with the exception that I had to replace all my bushings as I didn't have a "rebuilt" one to start with. Some of those bushings are pretty large diameter, I already had a bushing press but I didn't have good press plates to install them so I bought a good bearing/bushing install kit that had something like 30 plates from 1/2" up to 3"+. It's been far more useful than I thought it would have been after the rebuild, it's a good tool to have around in general. I'd also recommend the 6.0 oil cooler to keep it cool, can't beat the size or effectiveness anywhere in the aftermarket that I've heard of.

I found in my e-files I had a copy of the ASTG rebuild manual as well but it's too big to upload. I did see a link to a download site supplied by an OBS guy in another forum. I haven't tried the download but here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2vhd3ih3nievwwg/E4OD.pdf/file

If it doesn't work or is full of viruses PM me and I'll figure out how to get mine to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7