e4od rebuild

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
okay so the truck i just picked up needs the trans rebuilt. It moves forward but has no reverse. Has anyone here rebuilt one before what does it take. I have been lookin over this site http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/index.htm and i think its something i can handle. I am going to pick up the manuel on it tonight. Is the rotunda e4od tool kit all the tools i am going to need? I know about the updates that should be done im not looking to make the trans bulit proof i just need it to get down the road for a year or so.

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt my E4OD.

You need the rebuild manual as well as the update manual to know exactly what you are dealing with.

Clean, dry and sheltered work space with LOTS of table space.

You cannot be in a hurry for something like this. If you rush, you'll miss something.

If you have access to the tool kit for this transmission, then that would be a big help. If not, you would still need to make some jigs up to be able to properly put the transmission back together.

No reverse indicates an internal hydraulic or mechanical fault of the transmission.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
do you have a ball park figure of what it will run to rebuild one yourself i paid 1400 to have the one in my green truck rebuilt and updated i was going to do that one myself but i had no time and the truck was in need.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is no way i would do it, then there is no warranty and when it craps out its your problem not theirs.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have a ball park figure of what it will run to rebuild one yourself i paid 1400 to have the one in my green truck rebuilt and updated i was going to do that one myself but i had no time and the truck was in need.

Its really hard to say without knowing exactly whats wrong with your transmission. Just the rebuild kit with new clutches, seals and other misc could be as little as $100. Hard parts like forward planetary gears can be had for as little as $60 in some cases (and yes, thats for the steel upgrade part). I had a no reverse when hot condition for a while and tracked it down to a sticking coast clutch valve in the valve body.

They've been rebuilding E4ODs for so long that the cost of parts has gradually gone down.

If a sprag is shot, then that could be another couple hundred bucks depending on which one is failed.

I've found that generally the cost of hard parts for these transmissions is actually quite reasonable when you consider the "ebay effect". The catch is, getting parts is not always timely when you order online or from out of state even though the price may be good.

Best case senario, you have burned up clutches or a blown piston seal that is preventing reverse engagement, and the parts in the overhaul kit are enough to get you going.

The hardest part will be tracking down what caused the initial failure and only then can you order what you need to fix it. If you find pieces of hard parts anywhere in the transmission, you will have to go through the valve body as well, but you can also get a complete VBX replacement if you can't be bothered for the time (cost me $250 and its an EXCELLENT product).

Bottom line is if you are after just an OEM grade rebuild, theres no way it will cost $1400 unless a grenade went off in there.

My rebuild ended up costing me nearly $3000, but I did many upgrades and just the torque converter and computer came to $1500+ (all canadian funds). Mistakes also costed me too. But in the end, I trust myself more than any warranty.

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
well thanks for your help so far i may have to pick your brain alittle through out this project. I am going to be picking the truck up next week and will know more at that time i got the truck so cheap the bad trans really was nonissue i was hoping to find a junkyard trans but that doesnt see to be happening so i figured i might just try my hand at rebuilding the thing i have the time and the space

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

This is the tool kit that I had to duplicate. I normally work with metal, so faking these tools didn't take long (although they didn't look as nice).

You can buy this tool kit for $75 from PATC

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/e4od.htm

There are other tools on that page for the E4OD. As you can see, they are all really simple and if you have any metal work experience at all, you can duplicate them. I certainly would not pay $330 for the center support jig.

The tricky parts are when you have to lower the main forward gear train back into the transmission, and removing or reinstalling the return spring on the intermediate clutch piston (again I had to make jigs for this).

You can also check Ebay for used E4OD tool kits. I've seen them there before.

Just to clarify, these tools are not really optional. You need to have something like this to be able to take the transmission apart and put it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle