E4OD Question

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I am out camping w/ '94 IDI. Truck ran great but when we got stuck in a traffic jam ( in Gettysburg), the OD light began flashing and the tranny shifted hard. Turning the engine off reset the light, and everything was good, again. Then it began flashing again.
We ran thru some heavy rain before the OD light began acting up.

I see in the tech section a post about retreiving the codes, but what do I jumper to make the light flash the codes?

Is this likely a water-induced problem that might go away in dry weather, or once it starts it stays until you find the problem?

We're in Artillery Ridge CG in G-burg, if anyone wants to visit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
shutting off the truck won't clear the codes.
disconnecting the batteries for 10 mins will.
i can't help with the code retrival part, i usually use my snap-on brick for that. btw, they are getting cheap enough now where it can't hurt for you to own one.;Sweet

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Run through any large puddles? You can check the 2 connectors on the trans (one on each side) and clean out any water you find. If they look OK, check the sensor on the rearend (is the speedo working OK?).

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Going through some good puddles tonight made my overdrive kick out. It wouldn't come back on till it was dry some few hours later. I need to re-grease the 2 connectors, and the one for the computer with the bolt in the middle.

Michael, I hope it goes away when its dry like mine did.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post---moderator may delete the other thread--please.
Drove down to the Ravens Training Camp,and the truck ran fine. The OD light blinked a few times, but restarting the truck made it go out, and shift fine. No problems at all on the return to G-Burg.
Fluid is full and clear-red--just wanted to eliminate that possibility.

My main question is Will I cause permanent damage to the tranny?
I suspect that the harsh shifting is the "limp-in" mode protecting the tranny; not an evidence of damage.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
That's just limp home mode. should not hurt anything. When you get home I would clean all of those elec. connections and pack them full of dielec. grease.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
My main question is Will I cause permanent damage to the tranny?
I suspect that the harsh shifting is the "limp-in" mode protecting the tranny; not an evidence of damage.

Limp mode, if left alone, will destroy the trans. It's there to allow you to get it to a repair shop/home, not continue to drive normally. It runs the line pressures at max (harsh shifting) , and that will cause major damage. And unfortunatly it can be triggered by a few un-needed sensors like the tach. You may want to unplug all the trans connectors, tach, etc, and clean them and use some dielectric grease, just to prevent it from happening again.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I have observed no fluctuations in either speedometer or tach.
I have detected no pattern that results in the OD lite blinking.
So far a restart of the engine has made the blinking stop,and the transmission correctly shift.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My solenoid pack connector was giving me trouble when I went through deep water, wires had worn insulation and who knows what was arcing against what when it all got wet in there. When I put my shift kit in I pulled the connector apart and cleaned all wires and their pins with gasoline, then repaired all the insulation, packed the male part of the connector with JB-Weld till it became nice and solid piece, and the packed the female part of the connector with dielectric grease real good. The darn o-ring would not go back in for whatever reason, but even without it the grease has been holding up so good I never had any issues again.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have observed no fluctuations in either speedometer or tach.
I have detected no pattern that results in the OD lite blinking.
So far a restart of the engine has made the blinking stop,and the transmission correctly shift.

The computer has reset. Good chance one or more of the connectors got wet and had a fit.

kristhewelder

Reaction score
It might be A charging issue,I had A 01 f550 wrecker and when I idled for long periods with my lights and a/c on the O/d light would flash and the transmission would feel like it was coming apart. It turns out one battery had a dead cell and the alternator was marginal. Good luck