E4OD problems

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just test drove a truck that I want to buy. The truck is a 1991 f250 with a e4od. The owner said the transmission was rebuilt 8000 kms ago. The reverse gear takes 5 seconds to come in and feels slushy. The forward gears seem alright but 3rd to 4th revs out to 2800. What could problem be? Thanks.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its not electronic, thats for sure. Most likely an internal issue that requires another teardown. Count on having it rebuilt or replaced again if you buy it.

What part of BC are you in?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every e04d tranny I have driven has had the reverse delay. Mine did before and after rebuild. The tranny guy (who I trust alot) said it was common for that tranny.
That doesn't explain you other problems.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a bigger pump in mine when I rebuilt it, so it only takes about 1-1.5 seconds to engage in reverse and 1 second forward. Nothing I have ever driven compares to the AOD in my 1986 F150. No matter how fast you move the lever, the tranny is in gear before you can lock it in drive or reverse. less than 1/2 second engagement time every time.

5 seconds is not normal for anything though, even an E4OD. Anything more than 2 seconds and I would be worried especially if its aggrivated by temperature.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is in Kamloops. The transmission shifts fine in the other gears. The reverse gear comes in sooner if I rev the engine a little bit though, and is solid when the brake is applied and more throttle is applied. The reverse gear is only slushy when it doesent get revved up. If I play with the throttle a bit then it shifts sooner then 2800. The throttle is also very stiff.

tknomaj

Reaction score
My Friend that rebuilt mine Modified the pump and pressures and You move the lever and it Goes I will ask him Tomorrow

Last edited:

sootman73

Reaction score
i am just about to replace everything to do with my E4OD as i have been fixing problems found with electronics after my rebuild. i've put more work into that transmission than anything in any other truck i've owned! i am replacing the computer tomorrow or the next as i have very very soft shifts that are also very slow and i have to let up or wait for 10 seconds to shift. its the last thing we can think of. i put a computer from a '92 on it and it was worse. lots of hunting then very harsh shifts when it made up its mind.

you could easily have a shop reset your 3rd to 4th shift point lower and see if that helps. dont think you can change it a lot but i know my guy played with some of that stuff on mine.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 seconds for an upshift? is that for all of the shifts? Thats crazy.

You could try a brief run of the transmission with the computer disconnected to see if its really an electronic issue. You will still have manual second and 4th gear in drive. With the electronics disconnected, you will have max line pressure so unless the shifts are more firm then normal, its not an electronic issue.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i would replace the fipl, however that wont fix the reverse taking time to engage. but it will help out with the high rpm shifting if the other one is correctly set, but just worn.

my truck will shift into od no matter what rpm as long as im over 35 ish mph. if i am into the throttle, it will shift higher, but when im driving normal, right at 35 it will shift into od.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I just test drove a truck that I want to buy. The truck is a 1991 f250 with a e4od. The owner said the transmission was rebuilt 8000 kms ago. The reverse gear takes 5 seconds to come in and feels slushy. The forward gears seem alright but 3rd to 4th revs out to 2800. What could problem be? Thanks.

Delayed reverse is common on the pre 95 E4OD. But 5 seconds is to long. You have internal issues. Could be bolts not torqued to spec.Damaged gasket or seals low reverse modulator valve springs could be tangled or damaged. Could be other parts too. Those are the common low reverse problems. :eek:

Third to fourth. FIPL is out of whack or needs replacement.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The delayed reverse could be as simple as the 3 rear bolts on the valve body separator plate not being torqued down properly. Maybe also a fluid leak in the pickup side at the filter or pump inlet.

The price isn't too bad, but I would still try and milk the faults of the truck as much as possible considering the cost of a new transmission.

I would offer $1500 assuming the rest of the truck is near perfect.

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the truck for 2300. The trans shifts really good as long as I dont have my foot ******* it. The abs light is on and ive heard that could affect the shifting. Thanks.