e4od life?

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i can trade my cummins for either of the 2 following trucks, a 94 IDI diesel with a rebuilt e4od that i dont have to worry about, with 201k on the truck 20k on tranny. or i can grab a 97 stroke, fisher plow 199k on the truck, idk if the tranny was ever done. what life can i get out of that e4od on the stroke, daily driving, hauling landscape stuff and plowing

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it depends on how well it was taken care of.and how much abuse its seen plowing.at 200,000 id have to say the tranny has been rebuilt or replaced at some point.check the fluid.if it isnt red id be worried.

but the problem you are gonna run ito with the idi is they are becoming hard to get parts for.soon parts will be obsolete for them.do you want a truck that will have replacement parts for a few years or something that you can get parts for 10 years from now?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
i can trade my cummins for either of the 2 following trucks, a 94 IDI diesel with a rebuilt e4od that i dont have to worry about, with 201k on the truck 20k on tranny. or i can grab a 97 stroke, fisher plow 199k on the truck, idk if the tranny was ever done. what life can i get out of that e4od on the stroke, daily driving, hauling landscape stuff and plowing

Its kind of a crap shoot really some seem to last forever and others go fast. My buddy got 300K out of his and it was still going when he decided to rebuild it but it was starting to slip some. He plows with his truck and drives it hard his gas pedal is more like a switch on or off LOL

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
well my old work truck was a 97 and we went through 3 transmissions in 3 years and alls we use the truck for was to haul our generator, air compressor, and other little odd and ends for our construction company i personally dont truck the powerstrokes with automatic transmissions

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when the e4od dies swap in a 5 speed.if i coulda gotten my hands on a donor truck mine would have a zf in it now.but i got a ford reman e4od for free so i stuffed it in till i get a donor truck

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well ill check the fluid on it, and as for the parts on the IDI, i dont think ill have to worry about it too much, if i end up keepin the truck for 10 years or so id probably stack up on parts by then lol

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also can i put 550 springs on a 250, front and rear, i saw someone who claimed he did it and it gave him a 3.5, 4 inch lift

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The big thing with the E4OD is cooling. Most of these trannys die from overheating.

The 97 is the most factory updated E4OD. There is room for improvement, but that is something else.

The 94 might have some or most of the factory updates seeing how its rebuilt.
the only way to tell is take it apart.:eek:

If you want either of these trannys to live a long life, you can do the following.

Besure the fluid stays clean.
Add an axillary tranny cooler.
A shift reprogramming kit (Shift kit) will help a lot.
Tranny temp gauge. Monitor the temps. Keep it below 200 it will be fine.
Most important if the OD off light flashes, get the codes read. It is having an issue.
Most people keep driving the vehicle when this happens. Then call the tranny junk because it blew up.:eek:

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big thing with the E4OD is cooling. Most of these trannys die from overheating.

The 97 is the most factory updated E4OD. There is room for improvement, but that is something else.

The 94 might have some or most of the factory updates seeing how its rebuilt.
the only way to tell is take it apart.:eek:

If you want either of these trannys to live a long life, you can do the following.

Besure the fluid stays clean.
Add an axillary tranny cooler.
A shift reprogramming kit (Shift kit) will help a lot.
Tranny temp gauge. Monitor the temps. Keep it below 200 it will be fine.
Most important if the OD off light flashes, get the codes read. It is having an issue.
Most people keep driving the vehicle when this happens. Then call the tranny junk because it blew up.:eek:

whats a good cooler to get, how much do they run and what about a shift kit, pricewise, and its a 95 sorry

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I always push the Trucool line of coolers. Stack plate cooler are the best design to use. The have minimal pressure drop.You can find them at the www.dieselsite.com. Site sponsor.

Shift kit Transgo Tugger is a great kit. It covers many of the E4OD issues. They run anywhere from $120. clams on up.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey man your out of north branford? im a stones throw away from you

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol im down by orange.. if you ever have any valuable IDI or pstroke info for me let me know lol

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just in north branford by big Y lol i used to play ball at the sportsplex up there next to the paintball place close to east haven high

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online